Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really rode in heavy rain before. Friend and I were doing a team ride knowing it was going to rain. Poured for 1 hour and puddles still sitting on the roads well after. We continued to ride and finish. Got bikes home and noticed rear tire was flat on my bike; WTF? I find little sharp salt rocks and small pieces of glass punctured my tube. Front tire was the same way, just didn't get to the tube (1-month old Conti GP4000S tires). My friend also confirmed the same slits and embedded debris, though none actually punctured the tubes (1-month old Michelin Pro3 Race tires).

Anyone else notice if your tires become less puncture resistant when the become saturated?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
It's not saturation

fiscalmd said:
Anyone else notice if your tires become less puncture resistant when the become saturated?
The rubber in your tires is not becoming saturated to any appreciable degree. There are two (and maybe three) reasons for more flats when it's wet. First and foremost, the surface tension of the water holds the debris on the tire that would normally just fall off when things are dry. Then, as bigbill mentioned, the water acts as a lubricant so that all that junk that is stuck to your tires can more easily penetrate the tread. Also, depending on local conditions, the rain may serve to wash more junk onto the road.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Back when Kerry and I were in high school we had to cut natural rubber tubing in chemistry class. You could take a new razor blade and the tubing would not cut until a drop of water lubricated the blade. The same is true with debris and your tire.

·
now in philadelphia
798 Posts
WTF?? - rubber is hydrophobic. It doesn't saturate. If your experience is that you puncture more in the rain it is due to the fact that water displaces the things that may puncture your tire (glass, etc) from the road cravass and onto the path of your tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.