Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current forecast, I'm going to wimp out on my original plan.

So now it'll be a test ride for my "new" bike. Leaving from near Hagan Park in Rancho Cordova (if anyone is interested in joining me, I'll post directions), up into El Dorado Hills and vicinity. 5 good hills. Approx 53 miles and 3500 or 4000 feet.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ride report:
The wind was fierce today! Anyway...

I set off at about 9am and rode up the ARBT to Iron Point. On the way, I met a couple of guys that were out for quick rides before the wet came in. Nice folks. Anyway, I headed up Iron Point with the wind in my face or coming from front right. Right before the hill, I caught up to another fellow in front of REI. We got to talking and he wasn't going up any of the hills. Said they're too hard. Go figure? I ate most of a Clif bar on the way out. After cresting the first hill, I finished off that bar.

Turned right twice and headed up Beatty for #2. This hill is always hard, but the wind was square in my face! That made the 16% grade even worse. The hard part lasts about 1/3 of a mile. After cresting, I headed down to El Dorado Hills and over to Wilson.

This was my 3rd time up Wilson. It just seems to go on and on and the grade is unrelenting. 8, 9, 12, 11, 9, 10%, ugh. Made a right at the top of Wilson and there were some really sharp little climbs before the descent back down to EDH.

Headed back down EDH and started in on another bar. Made a left on Serano and put the 2nd half in my pocket. There used to be a golf course right there. Thankfully the water still works and I was able to refill. Serano 1 isn't so bad. It's relatively short. After the drop down and starting up Serano, I finished bar 2. Wind at the back here! This last climb is rather long and will be on the May 23 century route. It's not so bad with a grade around 9%. Much easier than the first 3!

Headed up Bass Lake toward Green Valley. There are some little kickers on Bass Lake that hurt. This is also on the century route. Traffic wasn't too bad and the drivers left plenty of room when passing. No worries at all. But the rain started. Now I was really glad I had the CF bike!

It's a very fast run down Green Valley. Good bike lane, but lots of traffic. I never have any trouble with it though. But the rain continued, as did the wind. It felt like it was in my face again, although I think it was coming from the left. The didn't bode well for the trip home from Folsom.

When I arrived in Folsom I stopped off at the bike shop to get out of the rain. The clip on fender was doing the job wonderfully. I also exchanged my stem. It was holding the bar crooked, very odd, and rather annoying. It wasn't off by much, about 2 degrees, but enough to be obnoxious. They were great at the shop, so it wasn't any trouble.

Crossed over to the North side of the lake and headed back toward home with the wind directly in my face yet again.

All told, 57.83 miles, 3712 feet, with a 14.1 avg. Here's the ride profile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts