Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
half-fast
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Saturday off, and had no other pressing obligations. This has been rare lately.

I went in search of Robert Fulton's birthplace and the Susquehanna river. I found those things, and I also found (in no particular order) where marshmallows come from, a different sort of LBS, a hand made peppermint patty, blackberries, and some fog.

The fog didn't really show up like I'd hoped.

I got rained on, dog chased (only half-hearted - too hot), visited with some cows, and saw an odd sign.

What the hell are butcher hogs? They sound like something from Animal Farm after the pigs evolved.

Last pic is the moon rock I got for my wife.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Nice pics. If that brick building is the one room schoolhouse on 272 I get my apples pressed into cider the next farm north of there.

Those are black rasberries.

I love barn shots. You have the territory for great barn shots.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Very, Very nice! I love the mix. The wheat with the farm in the distance was great, love the cows, and don't think I would have eaten those berries without a little wash first. :)

So, did the rain cool it down at all or did you just suffer in the humidity?

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
as stated, butcher hogs be for eatin. usually you buy them and have them butchered to order by a local grocery. you place an order with a farmer, he sends it to the butcher, and you go pick up multiple milk crates of swine meat. sort and store in a chest freezer. my dad once "sold" his old buick GS to a farmer he worked with. he got two butchered pigs and $50. the farmer's son did an excellent job restoring the car. my dad almost shed a tear.

i love black rasberries. we had several bushes growing up. sometimes after dinner mom would have us go out and pick a bowl full to put over icecream. because the bushes had thorn we had to be careful. we would come in with juice all over or hands, looking like blood. we would pretend to cry because we got stuck by thorns.
it was also a great way to snack while we were playing. get hungry, just walk over to teh bush.

those cows look hilarious.

and i love green bikes. just wish i could find green bar tape at a resonable price...

·
half-fast
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I knew all along that them's eatin' hawgs, but what else would someone be selling them for?

It just seemed like a funny way to say it, and my overactive imagination kicked in.

Some background:
I had pigs in 4-H once upon a time, and sheep, and a calf or 2, and I worked on a chicken farm. Once I even went to see the pigs butchered. I butchered my own chickens.

When I was dating the Mrs. a thousand years ago, she was freaked out by the packs of meat with names in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Real nice shots... I love farm country... thanks for sharing...

singlecross

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.