Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aul Raisin is in drug-induced coma Thursday morning in a French hospital after his condition worsened overnight following his crash in Tuesday's first stage of the Circuit de la Sarthe.

The 23-year-old Georgia resident was transported to a hospital in Angers, France, on Tuesday and was conscious and alert Wednesday, but suffered a brain hemorrhage early Thursday morning, forcing doctors to induce a coma to stabilize his condition and reduce pressure on the brain.

"The big problem is with his head. He had fallen on his face, for that he had the hematoma," Crédit Agricole team manager Roger Legeay told VeloNews. "Nothing is broken, but he had a hematoma in the brain and he his now in a coma. We don't know what happened and now we are waiting at the hospital."

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9701.0.html

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Later:

"This morning the hematoma exploded and he had a brain hemorrhage," Crédit Agricole sport director Michel Laurent told James Startt of Bicycling. "There was too much blood for the doctors to get out, so the doctors induced a coma and their diagnosis is grave and reserved. Right now he's not responding."

·
Banned
923 Posts
apparently he had an epileptic episode before he crashed - something he hadn't had in 3 years.

He's a real talent - let's hope he has a speedy recovery

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bad news

Bianchigirl said:
apparently he had an epileptic episode before he crashed - something he hadn't had in 3 years.

An epileptic episode? I haven't heard that anywhere. Where is that info coming from?

I'm really bummed. I've been following Saul and was looking forward to his ride in the Giro. Now I'm just looking forward to him riding again.

Get well soon, Saul.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Asiago said:
An epileptic episode? I haven't heard that anywhere. Where is that info coming from?

I'm really bummed. I've been following Saul and was looking forward to his ride in the Giro. Now I'm just looking forward to him riding again.

Get well soon, Saul.
There's a blurb about it on the Daily Peloton:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=9141

L'equipe reported that Roger Legeay was by his bedside and they were able to communicate with each other until Saul's cerebral eodema worsened and he was either put into, or went into, a coma.

I hope that Saul will make a speedy recovery. He's a tough guy. He had a bad crash last year and he forced himself back on the bike and managed to make a strong comeback, evident in his strong ride during the Worlds.

Saul really is one of the most promising of the young American riders in Europe right now. He seems to have the talent, the will, and the right attitude to do very well. He's in Credit Agricole, and seems to manage to get along with all the staff and other riders and integrate well into the pro ranks, all by the time he is 23!

Let's hope that this sad episode passes quickly and we can see him race again in the near future!

Saul, if you're reading this at all, best of luck in your recovery!! Unfortunately I am also familiar with similar injuries as what you have right now, but fortunately in my case I didn't have a haetoma. I hope that your healing will be even faster than mine was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Raisin's Condition

What horrible news.
That latest news release sounds bad.
I sure hope they can get him stabilized.
Best Wishes.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Bianchigirl said:

What is your source of the above statement?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The last updates were quite bad and it sounds more like the question is whether he will ever come out of it and be able to walk and talk rather than if he will ride or race. I'm hoping for yet another cycling miracle comeback story.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
From procycling.com.

"According to others members of the Crédit Agricole staff, speaking to procycling at the Sarthe race, Raisin is believed to have caused the crash that led to him being hospitalised, and riders who were close to the American at the time have said that he appeared to be in a trance-like state before he crashed. The American suffered an epileptic fit on the Ronde de l'Isard race three years ago, when only quick action by Crédit Agricole espoirs team manager Lionel Marie prevented him choking on his tongue. It is suspected Raisin had a similar attack on Tuesday."

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mtbbmet said:
From procycling.com.

"According to others members of the Crédit Agricole staff, speaking to procycling at the Sarthe race, Raisin is believed to have caused the crash that led to him being hospitalised, and riders who were close to the American at the time have said that he appeared to be in a trance-like state before he crashed. The American suffered an epileptic fit on the Ronde de l'Isard race three years ago, when only quick action by Crédit Agricole espoirs team manager Lionel Marie prevented him choking on his tongue. It is suspected Raisin had a similar attack on Tuesday."
I read that an epileptic seizure was thought to the cause of the crash somewhere as well maybe cyclingnews.com or velonews.

·
Registered
210 Posts
latest as of 1pm 04.06.06

From Velonews-

After the surgery, doctors said his condition has "stabilized," but cautioned that he remained in a coma and admitted they won't know a full prognosis for "another 10 days."

"There's no longer a risk to his life," Crédit Agricole team physician Dr. Menard told AFP. "His condition has stabilized. The reduction of pressure on his brain no longer threatens his breathing and cardiac activity."

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
This is just awful. I've worked with kids who have epilepsy and when they go down, they go down hard. I can't imagine what it would be like riding a bike, especially at speed. Good to see he has stablized--continued good thoughts and prayers for a quick and full recovery.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
One of the nice guys..

Coolhand said:
aul Raisin is in drug-induced coma Thursday morning in a French hospital after his condition worsened overnight following his crash in Tuesday's first stage of the Circuit de la Sarthe.

The 23-year-old Georgia resident was transported to a hospital in Angers, France, on Tuesday and was conscious and alert Wednesday, but suffered a brain hemorrhage early Thursday morning, forcing doctors to induce a coma to stabilize his condition and reduce pressure on the brain.

"The big problem is with his head. He had fallen on his face, for that he had the hematoma," Crédit Agricole team manager Roger Legeay told VeloNews. "Nothing is broken, but he had a hematoma in the brain and he his now in a coma. We don't know what happened and now we are waiting at the hospital."

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9701.0.html
Bad news but since this post it already sounds like things are getting better. Saul Raisin is a very nice guy with a good sense of humor and great attitude. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The injury is very serious and the ramifications are also not good. If the coma was truly induced by his physicians he may yet ride again. If was due to the injury continuuing to further itself, he may yet lead a normal life, but riding again may not be in the cars. God Speed to him

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
the spyder said:
The injury is very serious and the ramifications are also not good. If the coma was truly induced by his physicians he may yet ride again.
Also his epilepsy could be the end of his racing career even if there isn't debilitating brain damage from the haemorrhage. I think the risk of future seizures would put both himself and the rest of the peloton in too much danger. I don't know how certain doctors could be that medication would prevent seizures in the future, especially since he's already been diagnosed and whatever treatment he's been receiving didn't stop this seizure and it's only luck that prevented him from taking out a bunch of other riders when he went down.

Very sad news for someone with so much promise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although I'm no expert in the matter, I'm pretty sure that they can bring him out of the coma. The coma is induced for the sole purpose of allowing the brain time to recover. Without inducing the coma, the pressure inside the brain can continue to increase from resultant traumatic swelling which can eventually result in herniation and death.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts