Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a rider go down during a training ride today. Cruising down the road rider behind rider in a slight echelon, i was behind(and about 6" to the left of the guy in front pulling when his wheel came back 4"-5" and then a simultaneous swerve sent his back wheel into mine. I just barely avoided getting sent in the ditch and staying upright. The problem was the chain reaction that had the 4 others behind me smacking wheels which sent only the rider in the back to the ground.

I still feel bad for the chick that went down(just minor scrapes). However she had tri-bars with no brakes on the extensions, that in conjuction with my sudden movement is the cause in my mind. I didnt ask if she was on the extensions(hands nowhere near brakes) or not, but was later told they were.

If you want to ride your aero bars in a paceline just make sure you can reach your brakes real fast!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I disagree--- a quick grab of the brakes will only send those behind her to the ground. How did his wheel come "back"? Don't you mean that you rode into his wheel? I am not a big fan of aerobars on a group ride either, but there are those that can handle them. The general issues are that many riders tend to weave a bit more, and they never seem to be able to point out anything noteworthy when they are riding aero.

z rocks said:
Had a rider go down during a training ride today. Cruising down the road rider behind rider in a slight echelon, i was behind(and about 6" to the left of the guy in front pulling when his wheel came back 4"-5" and then a simultaneous swerve sent his back wheel into mine. I just barely avoided getting sent in the ditch. The problem was the chain reaction that had the 4 others behind me smacking wheels which sent the rider in the back to the ground. A couple of the riders said i was "dangerous", the other said it was just normal paceline wheel bumping and s**t happens. I still feel bad for the chick that went down(just minor scrapes). However she had tri-bars with no brakes on the extensions, that in my mind is the cause. I didnt ask if she was on the extensions(hands nowhere near brakes) or not.

If you want to ride your aero bars in a paceline just make sure you can reach your brakes real fast!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stood up and didnt keep his back wheel in check, unusual for him but it happened anyway. So yes i rode into his wheel as it moved back, then somebody rode into my wheel, and the same for the one behind him. Chain reaction, but everybody was able to stay upright without too much fuss, minus the aerobarred bike.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Sounds like a lot of folks, who I presume were riding regular road bars, almost went down. The boomerang effect gets worse as you get towards the back of the line, so not surprising it was someone near (or at) the rear that went down.

Yes, it would have been stupid for her to be in her aerobars if she was following closely and it wasn't a TTT practice session. But the boomerang effect can explain why she went down, so no need to invoke use of aerobars that you didn't see.

Not riding the aerobars when riding with a group of roadies is one thing, saving them for only tris and TTs is another. In fact, I think it'd be stupid to race a bike that one didn't put any training miles one. Granted, those training miles should probably come from solo riding. But you wouldn't want to bring a bike out just for races.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wiped out today using my aeros on a group ride, going into a sharp righthander on a wet and dirty surface. My own fault really, as I felt the back wheel puncture, looked down and didn't see the corner coming up. Fortunately we were strung out, so only took myself out, but I reckon the second or so it took to get on the brakes when I saw the corner was sharp was the difference between going down and staying up. I'm only going to use my clip-ons for TTs from now on!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
People who ride in pacelines, on their aero bars, deserve whatever happens to them.
Unless you're in a group of tri-geeks, stay off the damn bars. (The only exception is two or four guys working on their TTT exchanges)
On the group rides that I do, if someone is caught using their aerobars, they are given a sharp rebuke.

·
Registered
597 Posts
"I didn't ask if she was on the extensions(hands nowhere near brakes) or not...."

So....help me understand:

-You went down today.
-Others went down with you in your group.
-One of the folks in the group happen to have aero bars.
-You aren't sure if she was in her aero bars or if she even caused the crash.
-Some in the group accuse you of being "dangerous" and causing the crash.
-You come back home and tell people to not ride with aero bars in a group.

I don't get it. While I agree that riding in aero bars in a group is dicey, I'm not sure how her coming to the group ride affected the crash.

It comes off as if you caused the accident and you're now laying blame on someone else.

Sorry to hear about the crash. It happens. Hopefully, the group will ride again next week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
People who ride in pacelines, on their aero bars, deserve whatever happens to them.
Unless you're in a group of tri-geeks, stay off the damn bars. (The only exception is two or four guys working on their TTT exchanges)
On the group rides that I do, if someone is caught using their aerobars, they are given a sharp rebuke.
Lol! Living up to your name there! :D

·
24,573 Posts
Damn straight.
Aerobars are for individual workouts, not group rides.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Can you guys read?

Tri Slow PokeIt comes off as if you caused the accident and you're now laying blame on someone else.[/QUOTE said:
Did you even read his second post? The guy in front of him "Stood up and didnt keep his back wheel in check. So yes i rode into his wheel as it moved back, " Was it preventable? Sure. Was it the OP's fault? Not really.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, it is his fault because it's your responsibility to keep your front wheel safe in a paceline. Granted it is dangerous when the person in front is dropkicking but it was a training ride. Drop back a few inches and look after yourself and everyone else.

Even so, I can't really feel sorry for the woman. She had it coming by riding in her aeros. Best advice is to stay out of the bars unless you're on the front or maybe second wheel in a paceline. Group ride with strangers? Leave them at home.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Did you even read his second post? The guy in front of him "Stood up and didnt keep his back wheel in check. So yes i rode into his wheel as it moved back, " Was it preventable? Sure. Was it the OP's fault? Not really.
How does one keep their back wheel "in check"? If the lead person stands up, the bike does go back a bit, but that is not the fault of the first rider, the OP was too close.

While riding on aerobars in a pack, but not leading it should be a crime, not guarding your front wheel with proper positioning is the most common cause of crashes around. Only way I am getting closer than 12" to someone is if I've known them for a while...just not worth the risk otherwise.

·
24,573 Posts
"How does one keep their back wheel "in check"? If the lead person stands up, the bike does go back a bit, but that is not the fault of the first rider, the OP was too close."

In order to prevent a "drop kick", a rider must perform a slight surge before standing. I've seen some "bone head" stunts where some noob rider just stands, and shift his body forward enough to actually make the bike go backwards. What usually follows is a severe tongue lashing.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Oh My Gosh!

Someone went down on a group ride? I thought that this never happened.

Look folks, it's sort of like riding motorcycles. It's not "if" you're going to crash, but "when" you're going to crash. It happens. It's part of riding. Sometimes we get hurt, sometimes, it's pride, and sometimes it's just some road rash.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
"How does one keep their back wheel "in check"? If the lead person stands up, the bike does go back a bit, but that is not the fault of the first rider, the OP was too close."

In order to prevent a "drop kick", a rider must perform a slight surge before standing. I've seen some "bone head" stunts where some noob rider just stands, and shift his body forward enough to actually make the bike go backwards. What usually follows is a severe tongue lashing.

Agreed and expected...I've let me displeasure be known many times when that has occurred. I also give a bit more room when I believe a rider might stand to avoid this as the pavement is really hot at this time in Florida....

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.