Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone is racing with an old school steel frame or cheap aluminum. I'm old school and returning to racing. I have an expensive modern bike, but don't want to smash it up, so I'm thinking an old steel rig might be the ticket to race crits on. More durable in the event of a crash, and fixable. I have a DA8/STI group that is bomb proof and functional, but not pristine cosmetically.

Curious about who is saving their "Ferrari" ride for training and racing on a "beater"...that's what I want to do.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
For other than ProTour riders I think it makes sense to use the more durable stuff in a race. It's more likely to get destroyed and you are more likely to get forced into holes, pylons, curbs, and other damaging obstacles in a race. Plus you can't win if you don't finish. Training is much safer for your nice stuff.

Forget the advice about training with heavier stuff being better. You only have a finite number of watts and using heavier equipment doesn't magically make you able to train at a higher average wattage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like to have a 2nd bike for crits, currently I do not have one. A couple of years ago I had a bad crash and rode up the back of a guy on a brand new cannondale. His bike didn't track so straight after i put a 45 degree bend in his seatstay. I was on my GT and need to pick up an older groupo to get it back on the road and keep my Look for training/road races. Doesn't matter what your riding as long as you got the legs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
as they say in merry old England....

"if you can't afford to pitch it into the hedgerow....then don't bring it." Translation: when I lived in England some of the club racers I knew raced on budget bikes that performed well enough and wouldn't cause them to cry too hard if they crashed it in a race. Their "best" bikes were for pulling out on a nice sunny day ride....not for racing. Training on your nice bike while racing a workhorse only seems backwards until its your own money paying for them.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I think you may be over-thinking this. When the wheel you're lapping comes over, you aren't going to think "Oh, poop. I better figure out what to do so I don't scratch my frame." You are simply going to react, hopefully fast enough that you don't paint the asphalt with butt-meat. The bike you should race is the one that will make that reaction fast enough. Otherwise you are accepting the crash as a foregone conclusion, in which case it would be insane to race at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts