Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My commute takes me through some areas that could be considered "rough". I don't usually think of it that way because I've never had any problems. Anyways, lots of cop cars, police tape, officers consoling a pair of crying women. As I passed I caught a glimpse of a leg sticking out from under a sheet/blanket. Obviously I didn't stop. Felt a little weird the rest of the way home. Unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen this kind of thing. Probably shouldn't have shared this, but hey.

Be safe, hug your loved ones today.

· Registered
7 Posts
Me Too

My commute takes me along the beach.

A little while ago I saw a dude under a blanket on the footpath. The ambulance officers were just hanging around and waiting for the cops to get there. He was a fat older man who might have had a heart attack in the water. His friend was there explaning to the officers what had happened.

Felt really strange later. Imagine going out for your choice of activity and not coming home ..

· Registered
1,300 Posts
That sucks.

northcoast said:
Felt a little weird the rest of the way home.
I was at a mtbr.com gathering in IL one summer and we were riding some awesome singletrack, in some beautiful woods, when we spotted a guy who hung himself in a tree. It really messed me up. Actually made me sad to think that someone was so sad, depressed or whatever it was, that they actually hung themselves in such a beautiful place. It's weird to see dead people... weird for me anyway.

Arby

· Cyclist
233 Posts
A few months ago I was riding and saw a police car parked at an intersection. I glanced down that road as I was passing and saw several more police cars perhaps 1/4 mile away.

I found out afterward that a dead cyclist had been found there, of an apparent heart attack.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
In September of last year we were patrolling the streets of New Orleans after Katrina left, we found a body of an older black man hung up on fence. Evidently as the flood waters lowered his foot caught the top of the fence and thats where he came to rest. He was well on his way to decomposing, literally skin and bones. What a way to go. In the end we're just food for the worms.

· C 1/5
613 Posts
We were on a Army patrolling exercise in Fort Lewis, Washington a few years ago and found a body. Arms and legs were bound behind the back and a large hole in the back of the head. We thought it was a gun shot, but there wasn't an exit wound. Once the MPs arrived and cordoned off the area, we continued on our way. A few days later in the paper, we read how they cought the people who did it. Turns out a married couple found out the guy was mallesting their child so they took the "law" in their own hands and killed the guy and dumped his body on post. The hole in the head was from a hammer.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
I helped a friend with his half marathon run he puts on here in Denver last month. The run takes the bike path along the river. At mile 10 they found a dead guy just off the trail. They had 10 minutes to re-route 1200 runners. The detour added a third of a mile to the run, but none of the runners found out about the dead guy until after they had finished.

This was also my worst ride of the year. We rode our cruzer bikes and followed the last "runners". These idiots walked the entire course. Took 3.5 hours to cruize 13.5 miles. Boring and my butt hurt. I've since conviced my friend to pull runners if they don't hit marks by certain time limits. It's only fair to the volunteers. BTW, this is promoted as a run, not a charity walk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.