Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mountain Biking Defector
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop me if you've heard this one before.

I was sanding the wood floors on our main floor, and it just so happens I put my bike under an air vent upstairs. It also just so happens that there's a small area where the vent ducting isn't sealed properly, and I ended up with very fine sawdust all over my rear cassette and derailleur. This isn't your average every day sawdust, this is stuff that came off of a floor sander.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to get this crap out of my rear derailleur without taking it off/apart? I'm going to take the cassette off and clean it, but I'm not very good with wrenching and don't really care to take the derailleur off if I can avoid it. Do you guys think just watering the thing down will get rid of all the crap?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
a bit of spray cleaner like 401 and gentle water pressure, you should be good to go...let dry and re-lube

·
Registered
715 Posts
Um.... It's a bike.

Get mean with it; give it a scrub with a brush, use some washing up liquid, rinse, re-lube.

Use Fairy if you need to be kind to your hands.

Alternatively, ride it in the rain for 40 -50 miles, then clean it.

·
Mountain Biking Defector
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't a bike! It's a delicate instrument!

Mountain bikes are bikes!

:)

Seriously I wouldn't have any problems beating up my mountain bike derailleur, and I might not even clean it if this had happened. But this ride seems much more delicate than my mountain bike.

Thanks for the input, guys!

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
There's probably no fundamental differences in delicateness between your road and mountain rear derailleurs, without knowing the specific models.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
frdfandc said:
Compressed air.
Agree. And blow it into a Zip-Lock bag, then send it to me. I'm paying $300 a truckload for the sawdust I need in my business venture, so any free sawdust would be welcome.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
wim said:
Agree. And blow it into a Zip-Lock bag, then send it to me. I'm paying $300 a truckload for the sawdust I need in my business venture, so any free sawdust would be welcome.
Bedding?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
well, no one's is buying the finished product any more, they need to make money where they can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts