Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get into my first bike race this season and am trying to make my Bianchi as fast as possible. I just bought new Neuovation Wheels and am considering buying a lighter saddle. The Team Pro I have on now is 560 grams. The Fizik Arione I want to replace it with is half the weight at 230 grams. I like the Brooks cause not many people have them. I am also a big rider (210lbs), would it be worth the change? Thanks.

-Beau

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would think at your size (same as mine), I wouldn't bother with trying to shave 230 grams. If you're comfortable on the Brooks, stick with it. You'll lose more than that with your morning constitutional on race day. :p

Jim

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
Comfortable riders are fast riders. Stick with what you're used to.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
links0311 said:
I am hoping to get into my first bike race this season and am trying to make my Bianchi as fast as possible. I just bought new Neuovation Wheels and am considering buying a lighter saddle. The Team Pro I have on now is 560 grams. The Fizik Arione I want to replace it with is half the weight at 230 grams. I like the Brooks cause not many people have them. I am also a big rider (210lbs), would it be worth the change? Thanks.

-Beau
Stick with the saddle you comfortable with. Having a light bike is nice and all but unless your racing over clumbs that are several miles long it won't matter that much (even then). You picked the right place to lose weight on your bika any way which is wheels.

·
waterproof*
41,613 Posts
my Brooks hasn't held me back

After a decade+ layoff, I started doing the cat 5's last year, upgraded to 4 by July, had several good finishes - top 5 and a bunch of top 10's. All on a lugged steel 'cross bike with B17 and various other no-no's. Heck my first few races I wore spd sandals and still placed. Oh and hariy legs too, just because it annoys the dilettantes.

It ain't the bike... it's the rider.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Creakyknees said:
After a decade+ layoff, I started doing the cat 5's last year, upgraded to 4 by July, had several good finishes - top 5 and a bunch of top 10's. All on a lugged steel 'cross bike with B17 and various other no-no's. Heck my first few races I wore spd sandals and still placed. Oh and hariy legs too, just because it annoys the dilettantes.

It ain't the bike... it's the rider.
You really want to annoy them? Braid the hair.

I'm with the others. Use the saddle you're comfortable with- not to mention there is a certain cache to a Brooks- not that we're into that kind of thing. If you ever loose by a spoke width then maybe a more aero saddle would have made the difference- I doubt the weight would unless it's all uphill. If you want a racing saddle you could look at the Brooks Swift.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree with the other posters.

From what you said, you'd shed 330 gram if you replace the Brooks with the Arione. The 20-ounce water bottle has exactly 330 milliliter = 330 gram of water left in it. I don't think you'd find yourself going faster and faster drinking this bottle down :)

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
wim said:
Agree with the other posters.

From what you said, you'd shed 330 gram if you replace the Brooks with the Arione. The 20-ounce water bottle has exactly 330 milliliter = 330 gram of water left in it. I don't think you'd find yourself going faster and faster drinking this bottle down :)
And there is pychology involved, too. I was watching one of the races on OLN (now Vs) last year. When the leader hit the 5k mark he took a couple of sips from his water bottle and tossed it. I figured it was more for aerodynamics than weight. Then he started dumping power bars and gel from his jersey's pocket- the mechanics of that had to slow him down more than the weight of a few ounces on his back, which brings to mind something I saw several times- riders approaching the finish in different races who took _one_ bite from a power bar before throwing it, or exactly one small sip from a can of coke. Either they can budget their energy far better than I could ever imagine, or this is the stuff of rabbits' feet.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
or this is the stuff of rabbits' feet.
Brings to mind this oft-repeated ( and probably apocryphal) story about Jaques Anquetil moving his water bottle from the bike into his jersey pocket at the beginning of difficult climbs. When asked about this, he was supposed to have said "it's very important to have as light of a bike as possible when climbing."

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
wim said:
Brings to mind this oft-repeated ( and probably apocryphal) story about Jaques Anquetil moving his water bottle from the bike into his jersey pocket at the beginning of difficult climbs. When asked about this, he was supposed to have said "it's very important to have as light of a bike as possible when climbing."
Classic!:D

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I've got a differing view from the others. First, I agree that you shouldn't change anything right before a race without trying it out for a few rides. However, I rode Brooks saddles for a while (Swift and B17) and know something about your situation. My advice: Try a Fizik Vitesse saddle. They market it as a women's saddle in the US, but it's really more of a unisex saddle. The main difference between it and other Fizik saddles is that it is slightly wider. In fact, the width is exactly the same (15 cm) I believe as a Brooks Pro. The Vitesse is shaped very similar to a Fizik Aliante, except it is 1 cm wider and costs about half as much.

I switched from a Brooks B17 to a Vitesse Aliante. The Aliante was just as comfortable, but a little too narrow, so I tried the Vitesse. It fits me perfect, easily the most comfortable saddle I have ever used -- and I've tried many, many saddles -- and it is pretty light (about 250 g). The Vitesse weighs at least half as much and maybe even less as a Brook. I am not much of a weight-weenie, but 250-300 grams is quite a bit of weight, particularly if the Brooks is not any more comfortable than the alternative.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Per 32and3cross, stick with the saddle with which you are comfortable.

I don’t want to hijack this thread in the name of Vitesse, but it might be the savior for those needing a wider saddle. tarwheel2 speaks the truth.

I’ve ridden a Swift and a Pro, and just couldn’t get through the break-in period. I developed ischial bursitis from trying to ride Brooks saddles.

The Vitesse is pretty damn close to the dimensions of the Pro and the B17, and nearly as flat laterally. It doesn’t have as narrow a length of nose as the Brooks, but the width, flatness, and padding make it a fantastic option for those with wide sit bones.

Des

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
The Moontrane said:
Per 32and3cross, stick with the saddle with which you are comfortable.

I don’t want to hijack this thread in the name of Vitesse, but it might be the savior for those needing a wider saddle. tarwheel2 speaks the truth.

I’ve ridden a Swift and a Pro, and just couldn’t get through the break-in period. I developed ischial bursitis from trying to ride Brooks saddles.

The Vitesse is pretty damn close to the dimensions of the Pro and the B17, and nearly as flat laterally. It doesn’t have as narrow a length of nose as the Brooks, but the width, flatness, and padding make it a fantastic option for those with wide sit bones.

Des
If not Vitesse then how about Fizik in general? While looking for a picture of the Vitesse I found these saddles on a Czech web site. I tried doing a translation via computer, but it didn't work well. It appears the prices quoted are only for recovering the saddles, but I could be wrong. Still, they're pretty cool looking.

http://www.bikezone.cz/view.php?cis...e=&PHPSESSID=be7a16826876674d2293de2f9ed81228

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.