Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, wanted to stop by and say hi.

I've been riding bikes since I was young, but I go more serious with cycling 3 years ago when I went to College. I went from knowing little about bikes to assembling my current bike from the frame up earlier this year.

I'm a Clyde. I went from riding MTBs (in the city, not on trails) to my current cross bike. That said I like wider tires (makes sense w. my weight) and am currently exploring swapping out my 700c wheels for 650b ones. Oh, and I like video games.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Welcome.
am currently exploring swapping out my 700c wheels for 650b ones.
That probably would be impractical, and unnecessary to achieve your goal. The smaller radius of 650B wheels would almost certainly mean you'd have to get new brake calipers, with longer reach. You should first try installing the widest tires your frame will permit, and see if that's adequate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That probably would be impractical, and unnecessary to achieve your goal. The smaller radius of 650B wheels would almost certainly mean you'd have to get new brake calipers, with longer reach. You should first try installing the widest tires your frame will permit, and see if that's adequate.
Since I am using disc brakes I believe I shouldn't have a problem with that first point.

To the second point: I was previously running 42c tires with <2mm of clearance at my fork crown. I recently had a situation where the tire actually started rubbing the fork crown. The second largest tire size that I ran was a 38mm, but I ran them at 70-75psi (max was 85) and had an incident where I double pinch flatted.

From my personal experience I would prefer a wider tire for the multi surface riding that I do, however In riding more narrow 700c tire I feel as if they are more nimble and put me in a better position on my bike.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You've thought it out. Good luck. And have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey there, I just recently joined up too, nice to meet you. I enjoy gaming as well, my son and I play a good deal (though riding always comes first). Hit me up on PSN (RJYHGHA-RTR) or Xbox (jhatmaker). Take care!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts