Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with great sadness that I post my final Japan Ride Report. Yes, the Geocyclist is moving to Bahrain. I have to say that I was in a bit of shock when my wife informed me of her change of assignment. I knew one day I would leave Japan, but I guess I just didn’t figure on moving to Bahrain. My first reaction about the move was my cycling days were over. After some web surfing I have found there is a fairly active cycling scene in Bahrain; however, I’ll be trading the mountain cycling for the high speed flat crit cycling. There also appears to opportunity for duathlon and triathlon events if I so desire. Another big difference will be the change of racing season from spring through autumn to autumn through spring. I don’t’ think there will be much cycling action during the 50 degree C summer heat. I might take up wind surfing for a summer activity!

My apologies for the delinquent post of these cherry blossom photos. I took these the last week that I was home on vacation. I never got the chance to post these photos; as I was too busy packing house before I left for work. I’m posting this report from a ship off the coast of Southern Australia. I’m out of the cycling scene for a good while. The next time I’ll see my road bike will be late summer when I set up house in Bahrain.

So, on with the Ride Report!

As this is my farewell to Japan ride report I thought I would post photos from some of my favourite rides. The first series of photos are from the last Cherry Blossom ride I took. I hope you enjoy a view of 5 years of cycling in Japan!

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The map shows the area of Japan where I did the majority of my cycling. A photo of the flight line from my apartment; yeah, serious jet noise 24/7. The jet noise will be one thing I will not miss about my time in Japan.. I had to include a cycling in the city photo. Also a couple of photos of the amazing construction projects and bridges. The last photo shows my LBS that has the most incredible inventory and fantastic service; Ueki san is the man!

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Good luck in Bahrain,...perhaps I'll see you there sometime. I will very much miss your photo essays--they have been great. Thank you.

Have a safe move!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Man, what a change. I've really enjoyed your Japan shots to. And to change from this:

to:

I'm sorry!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Aaaaah, damn. I'm really sorry to read this, both for your sake and ours. I've enjoyed every one of your reports over the years, and I'm really gonna miss 'em. (...and you even included a castle in this one! ...and so rare to encounter someone who can sing the praises of the wondrous vending machines! ...all those tiny villages tucked into the little river valleys and the coves along the coast! ...the cherry blossoms! ...the maple leaves! ...the shrines and temples!)

Thanks for all the posts, and good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Your reports from Japan have been among my favorites here on RBR. Your photos show a side of Japan and Japanese life that one rarely sees in the US. Thanks for the insight in to Japan.

Several years ago, I represented a client that was based in Bahrain. I largely dealt with British expatriates. They liked the place. But, I think that their feelings largely were fueled by the high salaries that they were receiving and not the place itself. The matter involved an arbitration and there was a possibility at one point that we were going to have part of it in Bahrain. But, much to my disappointment, everything ultimately was held in the US.

Good luck with the move. I'm looking forward to your next report -- from Bahrain.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Geo,

Soryy to hear that you are heading off to Bahrein from your cush posting in Japan -- Having now ridden in both regions, I can tell you that you are going to be jonesing for the narrow, left-hand, switchbacked roads you are leaving behind! Oh, and be ready to ride in the very, very early a.m. By 08:00 the mercury will be hitting 34 degreees! Finally, from what I've heard, the best riding in the region is in Oman -- not the door next door from Bahrein but isn't it worth a trip for your internet buddies?

Best,

Philippec

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Future Ride Reports?

Ridgetop, Walrus, MarkS, and Philippec Thanks for the nice comments. I’ve always enjoyed posting my ride reports, and hope to have some interesting rides to report in the future. Oman is definitely on the travel plan calendar; however, the Oman trip is more likely to be a mountain bike adventure. I’m also planning to jump across to Qatar to catch the pro tour of Doha next winter. Living closer to Europe I hope to have some opportunities to do some cycling in Europe. I’ll get two free flights a year up to Europe, and I plan to use these for cycling adventures.

I hope you all have a good season of cycling!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Best of luck

Good luck in Bahrain. We're in Japan now, spent 6 days in Tokyo and now in Kyoto, heading back to Shanghai tomorrow. Seen more cyclists out for sport in one day in Tokyo than I've seen in 6 months in Shanghai. You will no doubt miss Japan and I've enjoyed your posts. Good luck in the new location.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.