Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as recommended by snap's post awhile back, i've upgraded my $8 analog to a $25 digital scale which includes bodyfat and body water %.

can this be right? and, what does it mean?

38 year old male, 6'2"-3"

174#
16.8% bodyfat
68.2% water

can that 17% bodyfat be right? you can count my ribs, and my arms & legs look like roadmaps.

-J's

//scale is the taylor 5754...i couldn't find the other one (locally)

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
It is probably a little high if you can see your ribs. 12-15% is an excellent range IMHO.

I remember the good old days when you were fat and I wasn't.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigrider said:
It is probably a little high if you can see your ribs. 12-15% is an excellent range IMHO.

I remember the good old days when you were fat and I wasn't.
i would say a little high, but what do i know?

IIRC there was something awhile back on the intertubes about those having higher lower-body-musculature getting higher bodyfat readings, as these scales measure via eletrical signals through bare feet. wonder if that is true/makes a difference?

i'm wearing a 30-32 waist and m-l t-shirts...bodyfat must be lower than 17%...

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
68% water sounds low. You well hydrated? Just judging by your stats and the workouts you've been doing, I would guess 12% or so body fat.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SilasCL said:
68% water sounds low. You well hydrated? Just judging by your stats and the workouts you've been doing, I would guess 12% or so body fat.
yes, very well hydrated.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
I've heard that these types of scales are set to measure the body fat and water composition of an "average" person, which by American standards means Orson Wells. So someone with a more athletic physique probably won't be measured accurately, at least by the lower-end scales. I think the higher-end scales have a setting for athletes, but even then I'm not sure how accurate they really are. I pretty much just use mine to measure my weight.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this makes me feel special.

:)

so what, besides the caliper, is a good measurement of bodyfat?

and, is the caliper actually accurate? i've read that it's horribly outdated.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Those body fat scales just make numbers up atmo. They tend to be okay reliable but not very accurate.

The one I have now I just use for weight, but it has a bodyfat and tells me about 10%. Tried another of 'em (a tanita) got all freaked out, then told me 3.9%. WTH?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I only use that function on mine every once in a while. Last year when I started "trying" my BF % on the scale was 22 @ 195ish lbs. I am now down to 174ish and the scale says I am 21% +/-1, depending. now, I know I have gained muscle in my legs because they are rock hard... and my midsection is obviously smaller. I have a feeling that this scale... is just wrong.

It's this one http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14489118

As for alternative methods.. Maybe this... http://www.bodpod.com/
Or this... http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/products/fitness3000.html

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,641 Posts
Since the scale uses an electric current to measure body fat, my body fat reading varies depending on how wet my feet are. Just out of bed in the morning? One reading. Ten minutes later after getting out of the shower? A different reading. Weight doesn't vary by much though so that stays (relatively) accurate. I tend to use the body fat number as relative rather than accurate. In other words, I take my readings at the same time of day under the same conditions and use the reading in comparison to other readings by the same scale.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I don't have ribs.... I think I lost them in college when I got drunk one night... okay make that several nights....

·
Registered
658 Posts
^^^ I have a feeling, even though calipers are not 100% accurate, that they will be a lot more accurate than the scale types.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.