Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the other Derek
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Sgt. T. Shelor
Company: Charleston Police Department, SC

We have received several queries this week regarding "Ben's Bicycle Shop" selling high-dollar bikes for half price through e-bay etc. IT DOES NOT EXIST IN CHARLESTON, SC

They list an address of 1700 Maybank Hwy. Chas, SC, 29412
The lowest address there is a bank at 1730 Maybank.

One caller described a wire scam like on your website, contacts with the "company" had a woman speaking broken english, a mailing address somewhere in Michigan, e-mails being answered at 0245 am (indicating they are on the other side of the planet), all kinds of red flags. Please spread the word any way you know how. Thanks.

###

Source:

Name: Sgt. T. Shelor
Company: Charleston Police Department, SC
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
be careful that you don't confuse the bens of which you speak with the very legitimate ben's in milwaukee that sells <u>alot</u> thorugh ebay and in person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I almost got burned by their new scam so wanted to take a moment and post this to possibly help someone else out.

http : // benscycling . com/ Bens Cycling

(Sorry about the link, I just registered in order to post this and do not meet the minimum requirements to post a real link yet)

They try to look like they are in the US. In fact they show fake pictures of their stores. If you look at their various locations they list for their stores in South Florida and Google the addresses they are all Home Depot's. The phone number is clearly either fake or foreign. I came across them looking for a Zipp 808 Max Clincher wheelset and they were one of the first couple of Google hits and an oddly low price (half of everywhere else). I emailed them and was told it is a special sale price until the end of the month so I had to act now. Also the email was clearly not written by someone who speaks English as their primary language.

Caveat Emptor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts