Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I got scammed by a member of this forum.
I put up a "parts wanted" ad for a Campy group or parts of a group. I got a reply to my email by a Jacob Florence ([email protected]) stating that he had a Record/ Chorus 11 group that he'd be willing to sell. I had already acquired all of the parts I needed except for brakes, cassette, and a chain. I asked him about selling me those parts and we agreed upon a price after he emailed detailed pics of the parts. He told me he'd be getting married and could possibly take the parts with him and mail them out from there. No big deal, I wasn't in a huge rush to get them. I sent him the payment on October 1st and waited. I hadn't heard from him, so I shot him an email on the 6th, just to confirm that he'd received the money. He emailed the same day and said he'd received the money and that he'd uploaded the tracking number to PayPal. I checked the number and it showed "Electronic Shipping Info Received", but nothing else. No big deal, USPS sometimes takes a while to update. So I email him back and ask about it. He states that he just took the package to the mail that day (the 6th of October) and that I should be receiving it soon. The tracking info never changed and I emailed him back on the 11th to find out what was going on. I got no reply. I emailed again on the 14th (8 days after he claimed to mail it), with still no reply. I opened a case against him with PayPal to try to recoup my loses and he has yet to respond to PayPal. I'm just hoping I can at least get my money back.
Has anyone else had any dealings with this guy? He is from Boone, North Carolina and rides (or did ride) for Happy Tooth/Bandwidth and Appalachian State University cycling team. He had emailed me once before back in February when I was looking for some parts, but I didn't buy from him then. Just trying to warn people so no one else has to deal with this crap. I'm very upset...I have an unfinished bike and don't have the money to buy more parts now.

·
Hai.
1,115 Posts
If you send me your credit card number and SSN, I'll see if I can straighten everything out for you.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
That bites. :(

I really hope you have a positive resolution. We place trust in people to act in good faith. Most times they do.

Let's hope this gets gets cleared up soon.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Paypal will give you your money back if he doesn't respond to them pretty fast. Hopefully it all works out for you. If he was going back to get married, maybe he is on a honeymoon and isn't checking email...best case.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Paypal will give you your money back if he doesn't respond to them pretty fast. Hopefully it all works out for you. If he was going back to get married, maybe he is on a honeymoon and isn't checking email...best case.
Maybe his fiance put the brakes on the wedding instead?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wit PayPal I believe you have to wait a bit of time and if he does not respond they issue you a refund. Now, assuming that he did scam you I would have still waited unroll AFTER you had whatever resolve from PayPal to plaster his full name and partial address on the boards, BECAUSE if he DID NOT scam you his info is out there. Three weeks is not a long time to wait. I know Canada post sucks and I can mail something out and it won't show it's tracked till AFTER it had arrived. Maybe he is in some 2nd world foreign country with his new wife and the postal system there is far from modern? Maybe he is too tired to respond as he just got married and his wife is hot and he is having non stop sex. Sooooo many questions.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,738 Posts
Don't be too hasty about blaming him. USPS sometimes NEVER uploads any tracking information. Combine that with the package getting accidentally shoved into a corner somewhere and you end up with the situation you have.

I think you were a little too quick to file that complaint. You should have contacted the seller first and advised him of the situation and given him an opportunity to fix it. This would have required you being patient as the guy just got married and might be on a trip somewhere.

A couple of months ago I sent a package to a guy in California and two weeks later he emailed saying he hadn't gotten it. I checked the tracking and there had been NOTHING uploaded. I had to call the tracking 800# to get the info and as it turns out, they had tried to deliver it but coudln't and left a notice saying such. The recipient never got it. The package went back to the PO and was sitting there waiting. The PO apparently never tried to redeliver and was waiting for someone (i.e. me or the recipient) to manually reschedule delivery or request a local pickup. I scheduled a redelivery and the guy got it. The whole process took over two weeks from when I first sent it. Fortunately the buyer didn't freak out and start accusing me of ripping him off and the situation got resolved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, he lives in NC and I live in PA. It certainly doesn't take this long to get from there to here regardless of what shipping method he used (he told me he sent it 2-3 Day Priority Mail). Secondly, he emailed me back AFTER returning from the honeymoon and told me he'd sent it to me (October 6th). The tracking number he provided me has not worked this entire time and up until the point that I started questioning him about it, he was very good about replying to my emails.
Thanks for the well wishes guys, I hope it works out too. I'm just worried that even if PayPal finds in my favor, they won't be able to recover the funds if he's already taken it out of his account.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And in response to Andy69, I emailed the guy multiple times prior to filing the case with PayPal, but got no response. Then I first filed a "dispute" with PayPal and gave him ample time to respond to PayPal before escalating it to a "claim". He still has not responded to PayPal at all.
Prior to me questioning the tracking number, he was very good about responding to my emails the same day I'd email him. I've not had an email returned since the 6th. If it was just a problem with the Postal Service, wouldn't you think he'd at least email me back and try to help me resolve the problem? And I know he's alive and well because he's been posting on Facebook...
I've sold many things via message boards and eBay and have always been quick to help a buyer out when a problem arises.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I'm just worried that even if PayPal finds in my favor, they won't be able to recover the funds if he's already taken it out of his account.
If they find in your favor, they will issue you a refund. They will post a negative debt to the seller. You will get your money. Their buyer protection is pretty awesome.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
If PayPal falls through, hopefully you used a credit card as payment to PayPal. File a dispute with the CC company if all else fails.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,784 Posts
FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen a tracking # for USPS actually track for delivery confirmation. It seems like it's always the "shipping info received" message and then the item shows up in the mail. Give it a few more days and hopefully it will work out.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Not my experience

I have some serious beef with Paypal.

I've had a couple of disputes like yours -- one right here on RBR -- simple "you never shipped the item" scammers.

I filed with Paypal, they requested information from the seller, when the seller did not reply, they said "congrats, we found in your favor!"

Then, they debited the seller's account. However, then they said that the dollar amount recovered was limited to the amount that they could get back from the seller -- $0, of course, since nobody keeps money in their PP account.

I called up my credit card company -- THANKFULLY I had gone through the extra hoop of paying with that instead of a bank transfer -- and BOOM, transaction disputed, no charge to me.

I will agree with Andy in that even through it SHOULD only take 2-3 days, sometimes stuff goes amiss... infrequently but once in a while a shipment has taken 2-3 WEEKS instead, maybe somebody transposed a zip code.

Good luck.

If they find in your favor, they will issue you a refund. They will post a negative debt to the seller. You will get your money. Their buyer protection is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great, I didn't use my credit card, rather a bank transfer. :-/
As for the shipment taking longer than expected, I have had this problem in the past, but the seller was always in close contact with me and has helped to figure out the problem. I have not heard back from this guy since the 6th and he is not responding to PayPal either. If the package was shipped and it was merely a problem with USPS, don't you think he'd respond?

·
Registered
636 Posts
" He told me he'd be getting married and could possibly take the parts with him and mail them out from there"
I think you are somew gullible. First, someone married would be too busy to do this. This sounds like a cover story. Can you contact the police/internet crimes division/ get his IP address?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just learned something new today, so PayPal can only recoup what's in the sellers PayPal fund at the time. That sucks, if I were to buy say sram red groupset and the guy gives me a box of nothing and empties his Paypal account, I'm out 1500 to 2k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm waiting to find out what happens with the PayPal case. He has still not responded. They are giving him until Nov. 1st. If I do not get my money back, then I'll pursue a criminal complaint. I have his home address from PayPal as well as his place of employment. He is also active in the race scene in NC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts