Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I placed an add to sell my bike on RBR, I've received two e-mails, allegedly from foreign sources, both with yahoo addresses. One claims to be from Moscow and the other from New Zealand. Both are in poorly written english, wanting my lowest price and stating that they will send me a cashier's check immediately.

The scamer will send the seller a bogus cashier's check in hopes that he will be stupid enough to ship the bike before the check is discovered to be bogus. I can't imagine anyone falling for this. The moral is that even a cashier's check should be given time to clear the bank before shipping any product and/or don't sell to anyone overseas.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Same thing with selling my Seven through the classifieds right now. We just delete them, after laughing at the shoddy quality of the fraud attempt. Yeesh, no pride in workmanship anymore.

;)

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Nail him! He'll have to spend a good bit to overnight his fraudulent check, so play along with him. Let him find out that crime sometimes actually costs him!!! If enough scammers get screwed, they'll stop doing it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fair go....

Not all of us from New Zealand are going to rip you off. Ive bought some gear from the US in the past. I just do a money transfer and hope the gear gets sent. Ive not had an issue yet. I guess the rule is, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Good luck selling your bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.