Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Fine as is.

No framesaver needed, it's an aluminum alloy frame. The aluminum alloy used in making the tubes has a smidgeon of Scandium in it, hence the somewhat confusing term "Scandium frame."

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I am riding a scandio-aluminum cyclocross bike and the thing I WOULD suggest is some of that "bonk" or other clear film that you can attach to your frame on the DT and other sensitive areas that might receive hits from gravel or other hard objects. You can't even see it on my bike. I also put on a coat of wax. I guess the scandium alloy is prone to paint chipping. And that "smidgeon" of scandium molecules bond to the aluminum in a way that does make it behave different. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Dajianshan said:
And that "smidgeon" of scandium molecules bond to the aluminum in a way that does make it behave different. I like mine a lot.
Sure, the customary 2% scandium addition increases yield strength of the aluminum alloy, meaning you can make the tubing walls slightly thinner and wind up with a slightly lighter frame. Good point about protecting the outside of the frame!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.