Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you guys tell me about a frame made of scandium? Is it better then aluminum or titanium? Do you own one, was the ride good whatever? I'm asking this cause I'm looking at a Lapierre that is made of scandium, but haven't tested it yet so I'd like to see what you guys say about that metal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
scandium

is just alloyed into aluminum, it is not a pure scandium frame. how it rides
depends on how its made as with any material. some can ride good and some
can be junk if not done right. i really dont think you can buy any of todays high
end frames and have it ride like crap, now fit is a more important factor.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Alloys

Rum_Runner1 said:
What can you guys tell me about a frame made of scandium? Is it better then aluminum or titanium? Do you own one, was the ride good whatever? I'm asking this cause I'm looking at a Lapierre that is made of scandium, but haven't tested it yet so I'd like to see what you guys say about that metal.
Aluminum by itself is sort of a punky metal - corrodes easily and not that strong. So any aluminum used in bike frames or bike parts is alloyed with other elements, commonly copper, magnesium, and yes, scandium. All of these are typically at a few % level. Alloys containing Sc are a bit stronger than previous alloyes, but as peabody said, it's all about the design and construction details much more than the specifica alloy used. If you Google aluminum alloys, you'll find all kinds of interesting stuff, which I suspect is what the link from terry b is all about. To say that "This is a scandium bike," is just marketing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
As the other said, Scandium is alloyed with 6110 aluminum. Suppose to provide better grain control since the scandium keeps the aluminum crystal structure from getting larger as it cools from welding. Easton has a whole process on how to weld it and how to heat treat it.
A teammate had a scandium frame and it cracked in the seat tube, very close where it meets the bottom bracket, after 5 years.
So, be more concerned if the frame fits more than the materials and also, looked at the warranty on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.