Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am currently in the process of getting my first road bike, I can't decide if I should buy a new bike, or piece together one to my specs. However, I recently found a Scattante R-852 frame with carbon fork and headset for ~90 dollars. Is this a good deal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
jtimmer1 said:
Hey all,

I am currently in the process of getting my first road bike, I can't decide if I should buy a new bike, or piece together one to my specs. However, I recently found a Scattante R-852 frame with carbon fork and headset for ~90 dollars. Is this a good deal?

Thanks.
as long as the frame fits and is not in too bad condition, then yes, it is a good deal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is in good condition. I am just weary of a steel frames. I want a light bike, and naturally, I would imagine a steel framed bike to be pretty heavy.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

853 is one of the best steels available and it is not as heavy as the carbon addicts will have you believe. Can you buy a lighter frame? Yes you can but what are you giving up in ride comfort? I own an 853 bike and it weighs a shade under 19 pounds fully loaded, including two bottle cages and pedals, with open pro wheelset. It is a great bike that you ride for hours on end. I have done a number of centuries and do not feel beaten up on the last 20 - 30 miles like you do on aluminum and many carbon frames.

If you're interested in saving a few pound, ride a few extra miles and shed some body weight.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
jtimmer1 said:
Yeah, it is in good condition. I am just weary of a steel frames. I want a light bike, and naturally, I would imagine a steel framed bike to be pretty heavy.
Not at all, 853, or any quality steel can be built into a bike that is competitive with most other aluminum or carbon frames out there (ie, within 1 lbs). The one exception would of course be the uber-light sub 1000g carbon frames that are available, but most of the run a lot more than $90:D

personally, all my bikes are steel, but I will swear that it is the only or best material, just one of the many that people build bikes out of.

especially if you are not going to race or are just getting into riding, buy the best quality you can afford, and an 853 steel frame is probably a better frame than say a 200 to 400 dollar aluminum frame (though it does also depend a lot on the builder of said frame).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts