Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2007 we purchased 2 Scattante R560s and not long afterward were in a bad car accident. That ended our potential road bike activities forever. These 2 bikes have been hanging in our garage since then are in pristine condition. We have no idea what they're worth but would like to turn them into 1-2 tricycles. Any advise would be appreciated.
KerryM

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,434 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your bad accident. You cannot turn a bike into a trike. Your best bet would be to sell these on eBay auction (do a Google search on values), then buy some trikes.

·
Registered
19,269 Posts
You cannot turn a bike into a trike.
Well... you 'can'. Backyard mechanics have been doing it for decades.
Would I recommend it? NO

There are bolt on conversion kits. I don't know anything about them, but I've seen them.

Any advise would be appreciated.
What actually are you looking to do with them?
Just noodling around the neighborhood, running to the grocery store?
Or serious regular longer distance riding?

These are both 'trikes' but clearly have different purposes.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,434 Posts
What actually are you looking to do with them?
Just noodling around the neighborhood, running to the grocery store?
Or serious regular longer distance riding?

These are both 'trikes' but clearly have different purposes.

I once knew a guy who had been in a really bad motorcycle accident and had chronic bad issues as a result. The only kind of bike he could ride without being in excruciating pain was a recumbent. I've seen recumbent trikes like the last one tlg posted. That might be a good option. Don't let the photo fool you. They are not just for serious performance riders. I've seen people with very limited mobility ride these.

·
Registered
19,269 Posts
Don't let the photo fool you. They are not just for serious performance riders. I've seen people with very limited mobility ride these.
Definitely. I helped support a ride a few years ago for disabled veterans. Many were riding these types of trikes. Some were partially paralyzed. A few were on hand trikes. Meaning there are no pedals, the cranks are turned by hand.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,434 Posts
Definitely. I helped support a ride a few years ago for disabled veterans. Many were riding these types of trikes. Some were partially paralyzed. A few were on hand trikes. Meaning there are no pedals, the cranks are turned by hand.

Damn, that first photo doesn't look very comfortable. And if he hits any bumps, his arse will hit the ground.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,434 Posts

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
There's an older guy who rides a hand cranked recumbent on the bike trail around here. He's missing both legs.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Damn, that first photo doesn't look very comfortable. And if he hits any bumps, his arse will hit the ground.
Not to mention that on a fast downhill, his beard blowing backwards will limit his vision...
You guys realize that this is an adaptive cycle, powered by arms, and the guy is most likely paralyzed from the waist down? I'm sure that rig is stiff enough that he's not bottoming it out on anything he rides. Some of those para-athletes are amazing.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That thing could have 3" of travel for all you know, and that is more than u have. He probably can't even feel his tailbone.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,434 Posts
That thing could have 3" of travel for all you know, and that is more than u have. He probably can't even feel his tailbone.
Just because you have no nerves somewhere doesn't mean you can't injure it. Granted you won't feel it but that doesn't mean there aren't health implications.

Pain is a warning that you are doing something wrong. If you don't have that warning, that is dangerous. Ask any diabetic with neuropathy.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,434 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Unless I'm sheparding Bill, I'm going all OUT!!!! I pass cars!
little bumps aren't going to stop me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts