Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of one today. Thought I would post some unlisted details that might interest anyone looking to jump on one of these since they are now $249 and there are %20 discounts floating around.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25729&subcategory_ID=3020

Weights:
Frame (60cm): 1670g
Fork: 650g
Frameset*: 2400g

* Includes 60cm frame, uncut fork and FSA headset (with all small parts). Does not include the provided seatpost clamp, because I won't be using it.

The frame is made in China. I assume the fork is too. The paint seem nice -- too bad about the name. The welds damp vibration like a scalded roll of bubblegum flavored dimes.

Will update as I swap parts over from my Soma.

Fun fact: the brake set I will be using sells for more than the frame set.

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
That's like the ultimate sandbagging tactic. Roll up to the line on a Scattante and then smoke 'em for the next hour.

The look on their faces should make up for the name on the downtube.

4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, race bike. Weight as pictured is 19.75#. Of course, that is without pedals, but the heavyish clincher wheels will be swapped out for tubulars so I imagine the race weight will be somewhere in the 18.5-19# range. No lightweight but not too bad for the money. Could probably loose another pound by swapping out the Nitto bars, steel rail saddle, XT RD etc.

I think the frame would save you about a pound over the Crosscheck. The fork weighs much less than those stock lugged forks, but is the same as the Kinesis.

4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you have the Kinesis fork so your only incentive is the ~1# weight advantage of the frame. Unless you have a fit issue with your Crosscheck (which I had with the Soma), it is worth looking at where else on the Surly you could spend $200 to achieve the same weight loss or an equivalent performance advantage. Tubulars? Spare set of clinchers? Treads for all conditions?

· Registered
224 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Well you have the Kinesis fork so your only incentive is the ~1# weight advantage of the frame. Unless you have a fit issue with your Crosscheck (which I had with the Soma), it is worth looking at where else on the Surly you could spend $200 to achieve the same weight loss or an equivalent performance advantage. Tubulars? Spare set of clinchers? Treads for all conditions?
Jeeesh...Now you're starting to sound like my wife...lol :thumbsup:

· Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the chart PBB...I was hoping the TT of the XL was just a bit longer, closer to 60at least. Hmmm...maybe I can make up the slight difference. Problem is that I'm a mountainbiker so any road/cross fit is going to feel strange after all these years.

· Registered
11 Posts
Ill be taking delivery of one of these frames tomorrow, I ordered it this past weekend with their two-day 20% off code. I have a question though, does it come with the front derrailleur pulley? I'll post a pic tomorrow evening with its preliminary build.

· Registered
224 Posts
Alcippos said:
Ill be taking delivery of one of these frames tomorrow, I ordered it this past weekend with their two-day 20% off code. I have a question though, does it come with the front derrailleur pulley? I'll post a pic tomorrow evening with its preliminary build.
Any other codes to help defray the costs?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.