Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(oops, I accidentaly posted this in the general forum - please forgive)

My brother (6' tall) just upgraded his road bike and gave me his old one, a Primal Heatstroke 58cm frame (I think made by KHS), Ultegra components, Velomax Cicuit wheels, 3T handlebars/stem. I'm 6'2" and the bike feels too small. I even flipped the stem (3T) which now looks like it has about 10 degrees of rise. Still, the bars are nearly 4 inches lower than the saddle, which seems to be a little too low and stressful on my lower back. The bars also feel way too narrow so I order some Nitto 48cm C-C bars.

Anyway, I don't have loads of cash to spend on a fancy frame so the deals at Performancebike on the Scattante XRLs look really good, especially with the 10% off coupon. The Primal uses a 68mm bottom bracket and 27.2mm seat tube. I think everything will transfer nicely, but will need a braze-on converter thingy for the front derailluer. I am close to 100% sure the XL (60cm) frame will be just the ticket to fit me but wanted to ask you experts what you think. My inseam is 35 inches, btw. Please advise, I look forward to riding lots o' roads!:D

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Inseam measurements are almost irrelevant in todays world of sloping top tube bikes. The internet can't help you size your bike, there are lots of variables. Your best bet would to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. If really don't want that then start google searching bike fitting, and read up on it, take measurements off of your current ride and extrapolate what your next size should be. A proper fitting bike will make those lots of roads you ride far more fun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rubber Lizard. Years ago I was fit for a road bike and ended up with a fairly large 59cm (or was it 58cm?) R1000 'Dale. I guess what I really wanted to know is if the Scattante is a weird sized bike. If it's fairly typical and conservative in it's sizing then I'll be good with the 60cm XL frame.

Also, I luckily have all the necessary tools to build up and maintain the bike, having spent the last 10 years mostly mountain biking. I actually think the mountain biking (and age) has influenced me having gotten used to a more upright position. However, after riding my brother's (now mine) bike I remembered how fun and grueling road riding is and I wondered why the heck I sold the old 'dale.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm 5'11" and the 57cm Scattante XRL (since sold) fit me very nicely. Roughly 57cm effective top tube if memory serves me (I like 56.5 to 57). I would think the next size up (do they still call it a 59?) would probably work well for you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're now sizing them: XS, S, M, L, XL (48, 51, 54,57, 60). I tried the extrapolating thing recommended by Rubber Lizard and went ahead and ordered the XL - 585mm top tube, 600mm seat tube center to top. Most of the meaurements were nearly the same as the 58cm Primalwear bike. The head tube is a lot taller, at least 5cms. My goal is to raise the bars without having to use a bunch of spacers and/or filipping the stem to erection position. If the measurements are accurate I should be able to get the bars about 2 - 2.5 inches from the seat height, which shoud feel just about right. We'll see.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am your heigth and inseam and ride a 60cm with a 58 top tube in traditional geometry and feel it fits me fine as I have had it 15 years. The new sloping top tube frames are a bit harder to get dialed into for me as the last two I have tried I needed a 58cm because the top tube was a 58cm also. A lot of the new sloping 60's have 60cm top tubes which really stretch you out a bit, in some cases too much, they are more like a tradidtional geometry 62cm IMO.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
the answer...

You CAN determine the proper frame size by reading the geometry chart, but it's more difficult if you've never owned a bike and have no relevant information other than your inseam. The only relevant inseam is a cycling inseam, measured from the floor to saddl-like crotch contact in bare feet, NOT your pants inseam.

Assuming that 35 inches or 89cm is you cycling inseam, that means a saddle height of about 79cm. The head tube length of 202mm should be tall enough to get the saddle to handlebar drop into the 5-6cm range easily.

If you'd post your actual saddle height from the center of the BB to the top of the saddle, along the seat tube centerline, it would be helpful. Also post the height from the floor to the top of your handlebars.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks C-40. The inseam I posted was my proper measurement as you described. Saddle height from BB is about 31.5 - 32 inches depending on where I measure to on the saddle. The frame will be there when I get home this evening. i should be able to get it put together this evening. I'll report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Based on my experience with Scattante, the 60 cm should be perfect for you. I'm 6'3" and my inseam is the same as yours. Also, even with a sloping top tube, it still matters. Also, if stretch is an issue, buy a shorter stem. Most bikes come with a 110 mm. You can always go to 100 mm. I think you should try getting fitted on a Scattante R560 or R660 first before you buy the XRL frame. Still the XRL is a good value and the quality can be seen in the welds and paint job.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it put together and with the taller head tube and wide Nitto Noodle 48 C-C bars, the bike feels awesome. I may decide to get a slightly shorter stem. My wife has a 100mm stem on her bike. I'll snake it from her for a test.

I'm partial to Thomson seat posts so I may have to put on an Elite stem (for symmetry). Also, I've determined the TTT stem is a 15 degree model, it looks dumb and there are a few spacers above it (and below) on the steerer tube. I figure a 5 degree Thomson with a couple spacers underneath will allow me to cut the steerer for a clean look. However, I'm not cutting it until I'm absolutly sure it's where I want it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rode the bike around quite a bit today and tried the wife's stem. It is actually a 90mm not a 100mm and I think I really liked it. I'm torn, what size to get? I'll probably pick up a 5 degree 90mm Thomson stem. I know the uncut steerer and TTT erection stem look funny but after I'm totally convinced I'll cut the steerer. The seat is a half inch high in the picture, by the way. Also, the front cables are a wee bit long, I'll shorten them someday. I'll also I need to do some tweaking to the bars and shifters to get them just right.

The bike rode great and it's huge-ness feels really good for my large stature. My tires' natural sidewalls look a little old-school but oh-well total cost for everything was about $230.00, thanks to my bro's charity. Thanks to you guys for your input.:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is a pretty short stem for a 60cm bike, don't think I have ever seen one that short on a 60. Does it give you a more upright position for riding, is that what you wanted? Either that or you have a short upper torso. Most 60's are 120 or 130 on stem size.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
stem length...

Don't expect to get the stem length perfect the first time, if you've got little prior experience. You may indeed prefer a shorter stem to start with, but you may want to gradually try longer ones with less rise. FWIW, a stem in the flipped up position will actually be about one size shorter in horizontal length, compared to the flipped down position, so that 90mm stem is actually closer to 80mm in horizontal length. I'd try at least a 100mm by 84 (+ or - 6 ) degree and eventually try to use it in the flipped down position.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right on C-40. A little more experimenting yesterday: flipping the stem, rotating the bars, adjusting the seat, trying the 120 again, and moving spacers around, I definitely think a 100 - 110mm will be the ticket. My 120mm actually measures around 125mm so I think that with the wider bars was really making things feel exaggerated.

At first, the much more upright position (with the 90) felt really good but then I tried a little more stretched out positioning and liked it too. With that in mind I'm now thinking the 110 will be the one I like most. Right now Cambria has a bunch of old TTT stems on clearance. I might pick up a 100 and 110 and give 'em a try.

My LBSs are teh suck, but there's one that might let me try a few Thomsons. I also think all the years mostly mountain biking has thrown my perspective off a bit. I like the more upright position but could easily see myself wanting to get more aero with more miles on the road.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Rot Wiess Essen said:
That is a pretty short stem for a 60cm bike, don't think I have ever seen one that short on a 60. Does it give you a more upright position for riding, is that what you wanted? Either that or you have a short upper torso. Most 60's are 120 or 130 on stem size.
Yes sir, Mr. Essen, a more upright position was the goal. The bike I got from my brother, even with the stem flipped (+ 15 degress) and the max number of spacers I could fit safely, put my saddle at 4 inches above the bars. The configuration you see with the new frame puts the saddle at only 1.5 inches above the bars. I'll likely settle on something closer to 2 inches difference with a little more stretch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.