Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
nate said:
Hopefully my bandwidth will hold up. If not, I'll remove some of the pictures and just post a link.

I was playing Dad today. I got up early, packed lunches, dressed triplets, and dropped my four kids off at school. After playing the good husband by starting the morning laundry rotation, I decided I had some time to kill. The forecast was calling for temperatures in the 60s, so why not take a nice leisurely ride through scenic Kensington, MD?

My bike needs a wash, but when faced with washing or riding, which choice would you make?

Nice bike! I had better go my eye's checked soon because I don't see what part needs to be washed. Maybe it was on the left side of the bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I knew that I should have stayed home from work

I developed a wicked cold at the end of last week and spent the whole weekend (including a very beautiful Saturday) on the sofa feeling sorry for myself (and coughing and blowing my nose). Today was the first day that I could even pick up my head. So, it was into the office for me, even though a warm and sunny afternoon was predicted. As I looked out of the window of my office, I just wanted to leave and ride my bike. Your report proves that I was should have.

There is a dismantled Bollman truss bridge on the grounds of the Baltimore Streetcar Museum, something that was on my regular commute until the road in front of it was closed a year ago for major sewer main repairs. The bridge was in use on the edge of downtown Baltimore until the 1970s. When I was a kid, I hated when we would drive over the bridge and it would rattle and shake. But, my fear that it would come crashing down while I was on it never materialized.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Kensington always surprises me. My fears that roads will be crowded have never materialized. Maybe I'll have reason to ride through again. Thanks for the report.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MN Dan said:
Nice bike! I had better go my eye's checked soon because I don't see what part needs to be washed. Maybe it was on the left side of the bike. ;)
I guess the picture doesn't do it justice. I wipe it down with a towel on wet days, but the bottom of most of the tubes and the fork are pretty muddy.

MarkS said:
I developed a wicked cold at the end of last week and spent the whole weekend (including a very beautiful Saturday) on the sofa feeling sorry for myself (and coughing and blowing my nose). Today was the first day that I could even pick up my head. So, it was into the office for me, even though a warm and sunny afternoon was predicted. As I looked out of the window of my office, I just wanted to leave and ride my bike. Your report proves that I was should have.
I was actually working on Saturday, which is why I was off on Monday. I rode to work on Saturday. It was probably 32F on my way to work but in the 50s on my way home.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Nate:

Good post! I used to live out in Olney. I'd commute to work at First Savings Mortgage Corp on Connecticut Ave in Kensington. I used to live, basically, at the corner of Ednor Rd and New Hampshire Ave. I'd take Ednor Road in, which would turn into Layhill Rd and take that all the way to Georgia Ave and then Georgia Ave to Connecticut Ave. I never liked riding on Georgia Ave though... too much traffic, narrow shoulders... yuck. I used to do this commute on my Surly Instigator with big fat knobby tires lol... this was in 2001, before I ever had a road bike!

Your pictures bring back memmories though. I've been on those same roads in your pictures. The last time I was on those roads was during a messenger race in DC. It ended at my buddy's house in Kensington where we all had a big party.

Thanks for posting!
Arby.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
nate said:
Hopefully my bandwidth will hold up. If not, I'll remove some of the pictures and just post a link.

I was playing Dad today. I got up early, packed lunches, dressed triplets, and dropped my four kids off at school. After playing the good husband by starting the morning laundry rotation, I decided I had some time to kill. The forecast was calling for temperatures in the 60s, so why not take a nice leisurely ride through scenic Kensington, MD?
Looks like you rode a bunch of the same roads I did on Saturday. Just last week I discovered the Kensington Parkway and added it to my route. It goes right through the "antique district."

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
lots o' peeps on RBR from Bmore/DC.

Seems like there are tons of folks from Baltimore/DC on this website. And from the Left coast too... but it's always surprizing how many people are on here that are local.

Small world... ride all over it,
Arby.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Nice pics Nate.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
I've seen tons of people riding around the Mormon temple and have wondered how the riding was. Are there good routes around that area that don't have too much traffic? Great pics as well.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Chase15.5 said:
I've seen tons of people riding around the Mormon temple and have wondered how the riding was. Are there good routes around that area that don't have too much traffic? Great pics as well.
Beach Drive there by the Temple is pretty darn good. There are cars on it, but they're mostly used to bikes and are pretty courteous. The road is quite smooth in most parts, so it's nice. I ride all up and down Beach Drive all the time (especially on weekends, where the part in Rock Creek Park is closed to cars), and have had almost no trouble with cars, even on a weekday evening.

Kensington Parkway is also good--it joins up with Beach Drive not far from the temple, and it deserted on the weekends (or appears to be).

The only issue I have with riding up and down Rock Creek is that there aren't many good hills, and I could really use more hill workouts, because I'm a crappy climber. Still, it's convenient to my home, the traffic is mostly well behaved, and it's all about the miles, baby.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
I'm down in Vienna and have thought about riding up that way for a change of pace. May have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Nice pics. I was one of those people working on Monday (Baltimore). I started my new internship, on the way in I was driving in some VERY dense fog; occasionally the sun would come through and highlight buildings and I wished I had a camera and some time. I like the shot of the house. My sister lives near Kensington and so I recognized some of the area you rode through.
As for the Mormon Tabernacle, I am disapointed that they painted over the sign on the RR bridge over southbound I95. It used to read "FREE DOROTHY!", it looks so much like Oz.
Nice pics, glad you were able to ride! Thanks for sharing.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I think you mean the graffiti on the railroad trestle over the beltway (I-495) that read "surrender dorothy." I imagine if you keep your eyes open, it's something that comes back every 5 years or so. An open appeal to everyone with a camera: Please take a picture. Apparently there aren't any of the actual graffiti.

·
Registered
65 Posts
. . . As for the Mormon Tabernacle, I am . . .
It's actually a temple, not a tabernacle. There are about 120 +/- temples around the world now. The somewhat famous Mormon Tabernacle is in Salt Lake City, Utah.

During lunch today, my coworker put the peanut butter lid on crooked and the lid was just barely screwed on.

I think I've been cooped up inside too long & I probably need to go out and have a nice, long ride, eh?

Okay - now back to topic . . .

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Steel_SSer said:
It's actually a temple, not a tabernacle. There are about 120 +/- temples around the world now. The somewhat famous Mormon Tabernacle is in Salt Lake City, Utah.

During lunch today, my coworker put the peanut butter lid on crooked and the lid was just barely screwed on
I think I've been cooped up inside too long & I probably need to go out and have a nice, long ride, eh?

Okay - now back to topic . . .
Yikes, you guys won't let a girl get away with anything. Next time I'll have to make sure I don't attempt to post when sleepy.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
OverStuffed said:
I think you mean the graffiti on the railroad trestle over the beltway (I-495) that read "surrender dorothy." I imagine if you keep your eyes open, it's something that comes back every 5 years or so. An open appeal to everyone with a camera: Please take a picture. Apparently there aren't any of the actual graffiti.

Yes,thank you for the correction. If I see it, I will try; it's hard because that section of 695 there doesn't seem to be any way to do it except as you drive toward or under it. I don't think there is a way to see it from a location other than the expressway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts