Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 6 rides under my belt averaging about 11 miles per ride. I've been riding every other day so that I can rest in between. Should I begin to consider changing that schedule or just increase my riding distance. My RPM's have increased to about 100 per min and I'm starting to feel great at the end of the ride.........any thoughts??

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Intensity/ exertion level is the other part of the equation, so depending on how much you're pushing yourself during those 11 milers, you can either up the intensity 'some' or up your mileage - roughly by 10% weekly for both distance and intensity.

That said, everyone's different, so whatever you do, keep in tune with how you feel and what your body is telling you and you'll be more apt to avoid overuse injuries.

Very good cadence for a noob, BTW. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If you feel good, ride longer; and/or ride harder; and/or ride some different routes with more hills. If you don't feel good, rider shorter, or easier, or take a day off. There's no need really for a "schedule."

And FWIW, an 11-mile ride, even for a new rider, doesn't really require a day off to rest. If your butt is sore, some recovery time can help until you toughen up, but if you feel good it's okay to ride 2 days in a row - or 6, for that matter.

You say you "feel great at the end of the ride." I'd say, if you have time just keep riding. No need for an arbitrary limit.

And you've got the cadence thing down. I'd advise you to stop looking at it now ;-)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Like the others said, it’s fine to ride for 2, 3, 4, etc days if you feel good. Consider mixing it up a little – go on an easy ride one day and then push harder than usual the next. If you feel ok the day after, go on a medium endurance type ride or another easy ride.

Mixing up your rides at different paces, different lengths, different terrain, etc. keeps things fun and interesting.

Your question makes it sound like you are eager to ride more and your body is ready. Give in.

Have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.