Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which silver finish, anodized or polished, is a better match for silver 2006 and older Campagnolo components, Cinelli 1a stems, Nitto seatposts, 6500 era Shimano, and other components with a classic shiny silver finish?

Even when new classic silver stops short of a mirror finish

Bicycle part Metal Steel Household hardware Metalworking hand tool

Schmidt's polished is actually polished, and silver anodized looks a little more satin in on-line photos although I can't find a side-by-side front and other rear-hub paring picture anywhere

Product Photograph Red White Circle

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,964 Posts
IIRC the only satin finish alloy parts back then (2006 and before) were cranks and calipers...everything else was polished/shiny around that era.

I'd probably pick the Ano finish, in any kind of weather the polished finish will be a dirt/dust/water-spot magnet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Depends on you and the bike. I don't like mixing the two on a bike. My '98 LeMond Zurich 6500 to me would look strange with high polished components while my Colnago and Pinarellos would look odd with a satin finish. Polished needs attention from time to time and if let go will not look good and once the anodizing is damaged or wears it can look shabby w/o a way to easily improve.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
What rear hub are you going to use? Personally I'd match the hubs.

I've got a polished Schmidt hub paired with an older polished Campagnolo rear with Grand Bois polished rims and I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What rear hub are you going to use? Personally I'd match the hubs.

I've got a polished Schmidt hub paired with an older polished Campagnolo rear with Grand Bois polished rims and I'm quite happy with how they turned out.
A PowerTap SL+. I'm trying to match the finish, but haven't managed to find any sort of side-by-side picture with other hubs that'd identify which is closer. Polished is definitely shinier, although anodized looks a little less glossy than is typical.

With road salt I'd go with anodized, although fortunately I live in a temperate climate.

Rear wheel: PowerTap SL+, retro-reflective HALO powder coated Velocity Fusion rim, 32 2.0/1.5 DT Revolution spokes, alloy nipples, 1997-2006 Record skewer. I'll do the same up-front apart from the hub.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke

I thought I'd find some one's artful wheelset pre or post build pictures online, but my google-fu was not strong enough. Like this:

Metal Iron Cylinder Nickel Pipe

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
A PowerTap SL+. I'm trying to match the finish, but haven't managed to find any sort of side-by-side picture with other hubs that'd identify which is closer. Polished is definitely shinier, although anodized looks a little less glossy than is typical.

With road salt I'd go with anodized, although fortunately I live in a temperate climate.

Rear wheel: PowerTap SL+, retro-reflective HALO powder coated Velocity Fusion rim, 32 2.0/1.5 DT Revolution spokes, alloy nipples, 1997-2006 Record skewer. I'll do the same up-front apart from the hub.

View attachment 312510

I thought I'd find some one's artful wheelset pre or post build pictures online, but my google-fu was not strong enough. Like this:

View attachment 312511
Don't know if this'll help...

Bicycle tire Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory

I think I would go polished with that hub. I guess you could go with the polished black hub, I've just never been a fan of black hubs.

I used to have a wheel with that hub but it went south and Cycle Ops upgraded it at a darned good price, with a trade in. The replacement is black and it's got more of an all business look to it.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke

Another, closer look at the SoN, jst not a vry good one...

Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle accessory Rim Bicycle tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.