Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I continue to build up my X4 I'm getting a pair of decent C Record pedals. I've been looking for some shoes and notice they appear to have some kind of cleat with a slit going the width of the shoe. I'm assuming that fits on the back of the pedal where there's a plate the sticks up above the platform of the pedal.
By the way anyone have any idea what the peloton was wearing for shoes before clip less came in?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i have late '80s chorus pedals (with campy clips and straps) on a bike and they feel great wearing onitsuka tiger mexico 66 sneakers.

all my other vintage keepers have kkt top run pedals, which, for me, are a lot more comfy than campy record.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The Italian shoes are going to tend to be narrow although at some point Sidi started making wider versions. I recall that most cleats for quill pedals were 2-hole cleats, so a shoe drilled for Look 3-hole won't do.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
No problem:
Freds got the right choice to use modern shoes with cleats.

Too the OP, your profile says you've been cycling since '74 and you've been a member here since '04, how do you not know how cleats and quill pedals work?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
BITD I had some Diadoras. I tend to be a hoarder but can't find them now, don't remember throwing them away.

The Giro Republic is a vintage looking shoe that's supposed to be a little wider that I think you can screw a cleat in to.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
BITD I had some Diadoras. I tend to be a hoarder but can't find them now, don't remember throwing them away.

The Giro Republic is a vintage looking shoe that's supposed to be a little wider that I think you can screw a cleat in to.
I've got a pair of wood sole Duegi's that are still new in the box that I never used because I got a pair of Mavic pedals before I used them. The Mavic's were LOOK that were rebranded. Probably have those around too.

Now I'm just saving the shoes in case I do an Eroica or sum such.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I've got a pair of wood sole Duegi's that are still new in the box that I never used because I got a pair of Mavic pedals before I used them. The Mavic's were LOOK that were rebranded. Probably have those around too.

Now I'm just saving the shoes in case I do an Eroica or sum such.
These leather classics are available at Dromarti. Maressi makes them. They are Italian and size 44 fits exactly like Sidi Genius II they replaced. Luv 'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
These leather classics are available at Dromarti. Maressi makes them. They are Italian and size 44 fits exactly like Sidi Genius II they replaced. Luv 'em.
Yeah, those Dromarti's are beautiful shoes, It's good to know that they fit like Sidi's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts