Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, school me on tubulars. No this isn't a tubular versus clincher thing - I've gone tubular and I'm hoping to ride these wheels a lot (we'll get to what wheel I chose later for anyone interested).

I was told that after a few 100 miles to take the rear off and then glue another tire and carry the rear as a spare? Does this work? What about the Vittoria Pit Stop Tire Sealant? Does it work and is it just easier to carry?

Would love to hear your thoughts and am excited to be a member of the tubular family.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ronderman said:
I was told that after a few 100 miles to take the rear off and then glue another tire and carry the rear as a spare?
The reason for this is because the spare tubular should be well stretched so it is easy to put on the rim. And it should have a coating of glue on the basetape so it sticks when you put it on. Of course you don't need to do this. You can simply put a spare tubular on a rim and inflate it for a few days and it will stretch just fine. Then put a coating of glue on the basetape. Now you have a spare to carry and no need to take your rear tire off.

·
Registered
782 Posts
like russell said, just stretch a spare tire on a spare rim/wheel. I personally never carry a spare. I do add sealant which has sealed anything i've hit in the last few years. I also carry a tiny pump that i have never used (over 2 years old).

·
Registered
713 Posts
I too rarely carry a spare. Quite simply, I hardly ever flat (knock on wood).
I've probably had 3 flat tires in the last 7 years. And you can ride on a flat tubie if needed.
If you do carry a spare, you really don't need a coating of glue on it. Just putting it on the wheel and pumping it up will be more than enough to keep it on the wheel. No, you don't want to ride a criterium with it unglued, or bomb down a twisty descent, but for general riding, you'll be fine, and glue it when you get home.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
+2 on the previous comments. Pre-stretch a tire and carry that until your rear tire starts to get thin. Then take that one off and use it for a spare, mounting the other. I always do carry a spare, but I live and ride in remote rural. I've been glad twice in 4yrs of around 8-10k miles per year.

I found a seat tire bag that works for me at Tri-Sports online. Holds my spare, inflation device, couple of tools. The bag keeps the spare clean and out of the UV and will ride on the saddle even if the bike is on a car rack. When I wear down a tire, I rotate the tire into the spare tire spot and toss the old one because they will get brittle in time, just sitting under your saddle.

I put a little Slime in each tire. I buy that by the pint at an auto parts or a Big Box store..works as well as the Gucci-bike specific stuff..I guess. You can't really tell if you don't flat. Be sure you get tubbies with easily removable valve cores. I got some Vittorias one time that took proprietary valve extensions that of course, I didn't have when I needed to change...Wasted some money on those..

The only downside to tubulars? All the mindless rap you'll probably get from other bike riders..."Why do you ride those?" "What, are you a stone age bike rider?" "Aren't tubulars a pain in the a++ to use?"...blah blah blah...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Ah forgot....

If you use the Tufo Tape to stick em on, you will make it difficult for your next tire and you will likely destroy the tire you remove. When I do use that stuff, I simply cut the tire off right away, I no longer even bother trying to "save" it. Now I only use Tufo if I am on a long neutral-support race with no wheel car...and so far, I have never needed it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MarshallH1987 said:
like russell said, just stretch a spare tire on a spare rim/wheel. I personally never carry a spare. I do add sealant which has sealed anything i've hit in the last few years. I also carry a tiny pump that i have never used (over 2 years old).
Ditto. :)

gibson00 said:
I too rarely carry a spare. Quite simply, I hardly ever flat (knock on wood).
I've probably had 3 flat tires in the last 7 years. And you can ride on a flat tubie if needed.
If you do carry a spare, you really don't need a coating of glue on it. Just putting it on the wheel and pumping it up will be more than enough to keep it on the wheel. No, you don't want to ride a criterium with it unglued, or bomb down a twisty descent, but for general riding, you'll be fine, and glue it when you get home.
I do the same thing, no glue on my spare. After its on and pumped up, it holds up just fine to get me home.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I carry a can of Vittoria Pit Stop as well as an old used tubular. The Pit Stop does work in most cases but wont if you have a big cut in the tire. I got a thorn in my tire last week and felt the tire going soft as I rode. I stopped and used the Pit Stop, found the thorn and pulled it out, and completed the ride. I have ridden about 10 times since then and the tire has held air as well as before the thorn. I would only use Pit Stop on a valve that is external - not on a tire with an extension where the valve is not visible since the Pit Stop can gum up the valve.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All, thank you for the response. I rode the wheels today:

The wheels I chose - the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate. Expensive, yea, but I got a framed warranted, sold it and put these wheels on a Cannondale CAAD 9 and I can say with certainty that those wheels on a CAAD 9 are better than ksyriums on a 3k carbon frame. No question in my mind.

I almost can't go back to clinchers - these things are incredible and I can't believe I spent the last 15 years not riding them.

Very happy - I will change the rear and carry it as a spare. Thanks all, let me know if you have any questions on the wheel - cause I rode zipps and Reynolds and it was a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts