Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My commuter bike has 27" wheels, and the rims are drilled for Schrader valves. I want to use Presta tubes, because my pump only works on Prestas. I'm afraid if I put Prestas in there, the stem will eventually get broken off, torn, or otherwise messed up.

I bought some adaptors from Performance. They were little aluminum sleeves, and didn't fit either the valve holes or the Presta stems. Any suggestions, short of continuing to use Schrader valves, or relacing the wheels with Presta rims?

·
Island Hopping cyclist
430 Posts
Can't see the forest because of the trees. Most logical, and economical solution is to get a Scharder pump head. I don't understand why the rim adapter didn't work, unless you got the presta to Schrader valve adapter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I bought some adaptors from Performance. They were little aluminum sleeves, and didn't fit either the valve holes or the Presta stems. Any suggestions, short of continuing to use Schrader valves, or relacing the wheels with Presta rims?
Are you certain that the adapters you bought aren't intended to make Presta valves compatible with Schrader pump heads?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
likeguymontag said:
Are you certain that the adapters you bought aren't intended to make Presta valves compatible with Schrader pump heads?
Yes, I'm sure it's not that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a similar issue, actually just too cheap to buy a schrader tube when I had prestas laying around. My LBS had little washers that thread onto the valve stem. Just like the ones that come with presta tubes, but with a little lip that fits into the shrader hole in the rim. Works fine, and less than a buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts