Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or does anyone else enjoy the irony of watching poor Schumacher cause his own fall, then whine on about how he doesn't understand why Kirchen moved over in front of him to "cause" his fall? Let's think back to a certain "loss of maintaining your line" at the approach to the finale during the final stage of a certain ENECO Tour a few years back...I seem to remember Schumacher moving away from the barriers into Hincapie's line, causing George to fall and lose the overall in that race to a certain S. Schumacher. Isn't karma a beeatch, Schumie??? Stop crying, it was your error, not Kirchen's. You lost the 32 seconds, no one took you down you whiner...just get on with it. I'm sure curious about that ITT ride also. Hope you were tested after that one Schumie! Reminiscent of Vino's ITT last year...I'm just sayin'...

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Nah, I think it's pretty understandable. He had to do interviews right after the stage when he's probably pretty emotional. Obtaining the yellow jersey--even if it's only for a stage or two--is one of the great pinnacles of cycling. So, yeah, I think his whining and being upset is understandable. I don't think it was anybody's fault, just a case of **** happens.

Funny though, Neal Rogers was interviewing Hincapie for his pre-stage 5 diary and Rogers specifically asked Hincapie about Schumacher and the Eneco Tour. Hincapie didn't bear him any ill will and that it was the ref's (bad) call. Oh, the irony. I'm sure Rogers will ask Hincapie about the situation tomorrow. I doubt he will feel guilty about his teammate in yellow.

·
Registered
896 Posts
nonsense. any pro athelete in america pretty much learns in college that when interviewed, no matter what happens you say "it was tough out there today. the team tried its best, but we were beaten. there is always tomorrow". it is not easy to keep composure, but with good coaching it becomes reflex. that said, it is certainly more intersting to hear real thoughts instead of canned ones.

BTW, since he crashed so close to the finish, why didn't he get the same time as the winner?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
bauerb said:
nonsense. any pro athelete in america pretty much learns in college that when interviewed, no matter what happens you say "it was tough out there today. the team tried its best, but we were beaten. there is always tomorrow". it is not easy to keep composure, but with good coaching it becomes reflex. that said, it is certainly more intersting to hear real thoughts instead of canned ones.

BTW, since he crashed so close to the finish, why didn't he get the same time as the winner?
Because the 1 k rule is not applied on hill finishes.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
nealrab said:
Isn't karma a beeatch, Schumie??? Stop crying, it was your error, not Kirchen's. You lost the 32 seconds, no one took you down you whiner...just get on with it.
After looking at it on TV I can see why Schumacher would be pissed initially just like Hincapie was at the Eneco Tour. For me though, they were both just "racing incidents" that resulted in bad luck for some riders. **** happens sometimes, and you can't expect the race commissaires to then speculate on what might have been if it had not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Crashing the leader...nothing new for Schumi

Ironic that Schumacher was involved in a crash that took out George Hincapie and prevented George from winning the Tour of Luxembourg (?). Schumacher took the leaders jersey on that last day, and I remember he emphatically swore that he was not at fault. I remember him trying to convince a pretty pissed off Hincapie that he was not guilty of sketchy sprinting...

I gues what goes around comes around.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Schumie

clearly crossed wheels
wheel overlap is bad
typically the rider who is behind is at fault

I saw the crash, Schumie wants to point afinger, he should look at the other 3 pointing back at himself

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
atpjunkie said:
clearly crossed wheels
wheel overlap is bad
typically the rider who is behind is at fault

I saw the crash, Schumie wants to point afinger, he should look at the other 3 pointing back at himself
The only thing Schmaucher can be faulted for is being against the barrier when everyone in front of him swerved to the right. Valverde was at the front and moved right, but unfortunately behind him, there was a line of right overlapping wheels and the chain reaction went like this:

Valverde -> Ricco -> Schleck -> Kirchen -> Schumacher … bang

The blame really can’t be put on anyone although I’d say Schleck moved over more than he needed to.
Here are some captioned stills I put together:

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
steephill said:
The only thing Schmaucher can be faulted for is being against the barrier when everyone in front of him swerved to the right.
He's actually got a good bit of room to his right (relatively speaking). I just watched his pre-stage interview on VS. He said he was moving left to try to get out to sprint, when the slowing and the move to the right occured. I guess that's why it looked like he rode across the back wheel of Kirchen, because he did :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
nealrab, what's your problem. Schumacher isn't blaming anyone. Just read this.

"This is a very, very bitter moment," Schumacher said. "Until the finish everything went perfectly. The team worked superbly, I was in a very good form and was thinking 'The yellow jersey is safe, now I will try to win the stage with a sprint'. I wanted to attack - but suddenly Kim Kirchen swerved and I touched his rear wheel."

The German doesn't blame Kirchen for the crash. "That was not his intention, it was just bad luck…. But to lose the yellow jersey this way? That's bitter. This really hurts."

Schumacher is a really friendly and nice guy, I don't know why you hate him that much.
And back in 2006 at the Eneco Tour. Yes, there Hincapie was really blaming Schumacher, but the TV pictures proved that Schumacher was about to hit a spectator and that's why he moved away, otherwise he would have crashed. And Schumacher wasn't happy about the Eneco win, but he couldn't do anything about it.

Sorry, but you seem to be really pathetic...

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
He's actually got a good bit of room to his right (relatively speaking). I just watched his pre-stage interview on VS. He said he was moving left to try to get out to sprint, when the slowing and the move to the right occured. I guess that's why it looked like he rode across the back wheel of Kirchen, because he did :)
Thanks for pointing out the video. As Schmaucher says in the interview he was getting ready to move left for the sprint so his weight was on his left side when Kirchen and the others ahead of him swerved to the right. Kirchen was pinched into the barrier and almost went down as well. You are right that Schmaucher had a little room on the right, but he didn't ride across the back of Kirchen's wheel. Because he was caught off balance he didn't react.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Faser, what say you NOW?

Yeah, like I said back at the beginning of this thread..."Hope you're tested after the ITT Schumie..." You don't smoke a guy like Fabian/Spartacus unless something is very, very wrong. Yes, I'm sure Schumacher is a VERY nice fella, so are Tyler, Piepoli, Ricco, Basso, Liberty Seguros, Festina, blah blah blah. Schumacher is just what I knew him to be. Now we all know!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.