Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Guys, My brother said the trail was closed today. he wasn't 100% sure of the exact spot as it was his first time riding it. any info and do you think it will be open this weekend? just looking to do any easy ride so i figure i would just hit the trail.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Guys, My brother said the trail was closed today. he wasn't 100% sure of the exact spot as it was his first time riding it. any info and do you think it will be open this weekend? just looking to do any easy ride so i figure i would just hit the trail.
I believe he's referring to these minor closures:

Trail Alerts

Due to the large project on Lafayette Street in Norristown, the Schuylkill River Trail can be impacted. PLEASE OBSERVE THE DISMOUNT SIGNS AS YOU APPROACH ROSS STREET.

Construction on the Betzwood Bridge at Valley Forge National Historic Park will require a small/easily navigable trail detour on the Schuylkill River Trail. The construction in this area has begun and will extend for a couple of years. Please exercise caution and obey all signs.

Montgomery County, PA - Official Website - Schuylkill River Trail

The one at Betzwood is a bit of a PITA.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Fair weather Schuylkill Trail Bum here... going to do my first ride of 2015 tomorrow afternoon (Sunday 5/3/15).

Any rider reports?

Betzwood still detoured?

Etc.

Thanks,

Spike

BTW, if you see a middle aged guy (somewhat overweight) wearing black shorts, navy blue UA shirt and dark gray helmet, on an orange 1996 LeMond Alpe d'Huez road bike, give me a shout. I ride from Conshy to Mill Grove (uphill!), and back to Conshy.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
I've been doing some nice out-n-backs from conshy, up mill grove hill and back.

The one thing I'm sort of surprised at is the slooooow progress on the 422 overpass over the SRT at Betzwood.

The trail detour is not a huge deal, but it looks to me like not much has been done in the past year.

What's the deal? Even when I rode out during the work week last week, there seem to be nothing being done. Do any of you SRT fans know when the trail detour is going to be lifted? What, is it one guy working on the project, part time?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah that detour is quite annoying. I'm wondering if they will reopen the trail at the same time as when the bridge construction is complete.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Starting October 30, 2015, SRT will cross the Schuylkill at Manayunk!

Manayunk Bridge set to open to walkers and bike riders with ceremony Oct. 30

Published: Wednesday, October 28, 2015

By Cheryl Allison

With its reopening, the century-old Manayunk will link the Cynwyd Heritage Trail in Lower Merion with downtown Manayunk.

Opportunities to watch a dream come true don’t come around very often.

One of them will occur next Friday, Oct. 30, when Lower Merion, Montgomery County and Philadelphia officials – and a crowd of area trail walkers and bicycle riders gather over the Schuylkill River to cut a ribbon and reopen the century-old Manayunk Bridge.

What seemed the most remote of possibilities several years ago will become reality because some people looked at a defunct rail line and saw a link between communities and a connection to a network that reaches far beyond the river’s banks.

The ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. Immediately after the ribbon is cut, the bridge will open for public use. It will extend the four-year-old Cynwyd Heritage Trail in Lower Merion to downtown Manayunk and beyond that to the Schuylkill River Trail.

For those who walk or ride across, it will offer views of the Schuylkill River that few have seen in 30 years.

The first glimmer of the $5.7-million project was lit when a group in Lower Merion Township saw the possibility of creating a community trail on two miles of unused rail bed running from the Cynwyd Station in Bala Cynwyd to the Manayunk Bridge.

More here: Manayunk Bridge set to open to walkers and bike riders with ceremony Oct. 30 - Main Line Times - Main Line Media News

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
How goes, SRT fans?

I haven't been out yet this year?

Is the construction detour at Betzwood finally out of the way.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Heh.

As far as I can tell, the whole work crew on that job is one part time guy who works when he feels up to it.

I think that's his pickup truck. If you rap on the window, he'll wake up and advance the project by one or two man-hours before Miller Time rolls around.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rode by the area yesterday hoping to see that the new bridge was open for ped/bike traffic. Unfortunately, it was not. It's pretty close though.

07-04-2016 - July 4th Ride (8).jpg

BUT! The detour that has been plaguing us for the past few months is finally open.

07-04-2016 - July 4th Ride (10).jpg

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
I'm heading out the SRT now, first time in 2016, believe it or not.

I ride an orange LeMond bike, black shorts and navy blue shirt.

If you see me, say Hey.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Sullivan Bridge over the Schuylkill to Valley Forge Park opened today!
Hope you had a good ride, Spike.
I did a partial SRT ride on the cross bike yesterday.
Ambler to Cross County Trail to SRT to Fordidden Drive to Green Belt through Ft Washington State Park and back to Ambler.

https://www.strava.com/activities/680802374
Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't see your post until I got back. I was wondering about that. I did my usual 27.3 mile loop from Elm St and Colwell Lane in Conshy to Eqypt Rd, up the Mill Grove hill in Audubon, and back.

This weekend, I will definitely cross the Sullivan bridge and do my VF park loop!

261 - 280 of 302 Posts