Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Vittoria Open Corsa CX's in a 25 for the last four years. Decided to try something new as Corsa's have been discontinued and wasn't really digging the skinwall look of the new Vittorias. Read some good things about the Schwalbes and the rolling resistance spiel on that website. Mounted them up and went for a ride, got about two blocks from my house and turned around thinking I had somehow put too much air in them (always ran 85 psi in the Vittorias). Checked on my nice Lezyne pump that I always use on road tires, right at 85 psi, hmmm. went back out, wow these things feel like $20.00 crap training tires compared to the Vittorias. Just to make sure I checked that I didn't get the tubeless ones by mistake. Fooled around with air pressure when I got home, tried them even lower than I'm comfortable with to not get a pinch flat and they still felt like a cheap, stiff training tire. Live and learn I guess.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
... these things feel like $20.00 crap training tires compared to the Vittorias.
well, they are $19.99 at Jenson.

but good for you to branch out and try something different. it doesn't always work out.

the nice thing about flipping bikes and components is you can try out stuff and sell the things that don't work out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My suspicion is that most of the positive reviews you saw for them were probably for the tubeless version of the tire. I'm not sure what changes Schwalbe makes for their clincher vs. tubeless tires, but taking what is essentially designed to be a tubeless tire and simply adapting it for non-tubeless use (instead of a complete redesign) will probably result in a rather stiff tire. Most tubeless tires out there have no tubed version equivalent- probably for a good reason.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
My suspicion is that most of the positive reviews you saw for them were probably for the tubeless version of the tire. I'm not sure what changes Schwalbe makes for their clincher vs. tubeless tires, but taking what is essentially designed to be a tubeless tire and simply adapting it for non-tubeless use (instead of a complete redesign) will probably result in a rather stiff tire. Most tubeless tires out there have no tubed version equivalent- probably for a good reason.
I've used the One tubed though...that tire has a thing carcass, not very stiff at all. Certainly not as paper-y as Open Corsa though.

Remember the Open Corsas are nice tires...you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer riding clincher than CXIII

·
Registered
314 Posts
Also, I think it's hard to compare brand new tires to a set that's broken-in. Most tires seem to ride better and better as they wear. The change is hard for me to notice until one day I start to feel, "Gee, these tires are pretty nice." That usually comes after the tread is definitely showing some wear.

I wish I knew how to allow for wear in making comparisons. I suppose I could swap back and forth between set of tires and compare them at similar mileage, but I'm not interested in doing that much work!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I ran a schwalbe one 25 mm on the rear in a few races and liked it very much. Nothing like the tubeless ultremo and ones that require much lower pressure. Much more supple than the ultremo clinchers that I ran for years.

Unfortunately, the sidewall ripped spontaneously on my fifth ride - along a seam. Schwalbe are famous for lousy sidewall QC. My lbs stopped stocking them because of too many returns, especially on the MTb tires.

If you find the one to be stiff then you have very high standards.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
put a couple of thousand miles on some ONE clinchers recently...

didn't hate em, but they're not in the 'high mileage' club...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just put a 23c tubed on the front. So far its ok and seems smoother than the GP4000s I was riding. Going to put the rear one on and see how it goes. I really wanted to try the new Michelin power competition but they are way too expensive and no reviews on them yet.
I was really hesitant to try the Schwalbes because of all the reports of poor quality.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The tubeless Pro-One's are a huge disappointment as well. Definitely do not live up to the hype surrounding them and their release. Handle poorly, don't wear well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It seems the old Schwalbe Ones are being deprecated by the Pro Ones which really confuses me. The regular Ones had mediocre durability to begin with, now their pushing their race day tires as their mainstream tubeless option? Granted they are pretty cheap tires by tubeless standards, but they expect us to change tires every 1000 miles? I say no thanks- I'll buy a tire that costs 50% more but lasts twice as long. Futzing around changing tubeless tires around is tubeless biggest drawback IMO, and the less I have to do it the better.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like my Schwalbe One 25 clinchers. I find the ride very smooth compared to anything from Michelin. After 3 sets that have proven to be very good against punctures. They are a little pricey and they wear rather quickly. Perhaps 3000 miles, a little less in the rear a little more up front. I have found on the roads I ride, by 3000 miles the tires are pretty cut up anyway and I look to replace them. But the Schwalbe has let less things make it through to the tube then the Pro 4 Endurance.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I put one on the rear so I have it on both wheels now. Only rode it about 12 miles but I like the ride, smoother than GP4000S and quieter. They have a damped feel to them that smooths out the ride and traction feels good. I started with 90 psi but during the ride I let some air out to about 80 psi which I will use for the next ride. I was really skeptical about these tires but if they hold up will probably buy again.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
Interesting. I'm on my second season on Schwalbe Ones (25 mm clinchers) and have found them to be very nice with a latex tube in them. Far better feel than the Conti GP400s I had been using. I do not race, but I do like going for the solo long haul on a regular basis.

Overall I felt they were grippier (though shorter wearing), faster and gave a nicer ride than than Contis. Granted, I've never tried the Vittoria Corsa line, but considering what my local conditions are like and what I've heard about Corsas here (thin, fast and expensive...for race day only as the local conditions will chew them up badly), I think I'll "settle" for Ones, GP4000sII's or possibly the new Michelins for my summer "go fast" tires.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The tubeless Pro-One's are a huge disappointment as well. Definitely do not live up to the hype surrounding them and their release. Handle poorly, don't wear well.
Couldn't agree more.. I was excited to go tubeless to give something new a go, was coming from Michelin Pro 4 Comp with Latex tubes and the Pro One's feel like a much harder rubber with low grip. I have put on a few hundred k's so they are "worn in" but they skid out much easier and feel a bit "dead". Shame as the puncture protection with tubeless is nice.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Went for a 28 mile moderate hilly ride with 80 psi.
I am really liking these tires, bumps are really muted.
I don't like latex tubes in general but I tempted to try with these tires

·
Registered
238 Posts
One or Pro One? Reading this thread, the responses seem mixed. They are very different tires, with the Pro One replacing the far less supple One in 2016. The new series of Pro One (and G One, S One, X One) are, at least in my experience, very nice tires when run tubeless.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am using the older Schwalbe One. 25mm Clincher and I find it very supple, fast, puncture resistant but does wear a bit quick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts