Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe tires and have used them almost exclusively on both my road and MTB for a number of years now. Currently I am in the process of building a winter road ride so I don't have to spend so many grueling hours on the trainer or be forced to take a 5k C-Dale out on the miserable PA roads.

My question for everyone is does anyone have any long term experience with the Utremo DD. I have been able to find a few reviews but nothing other than the usual fluff/hype so what I'm trying to find is if this tire will stand up to all the salt and gravel that is prevalent here in PA from November on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't ride in the salt, or even the rain for that matter, but I do ride on the worst roads I've set a tire on. I live in Phoenix, and our roads here just outright suck. You name it, we've got it.

Glass, nails, screws, gravel, sharp rocks, wires, cactus thorns, bolts, and anything else that be thrown from a car, fall off of a car, or migrate on to the road from the desert.

The only tires I've ridden here, that have never flatted, are my Ultremo DD's in 25mm width. I normally run Ultremo ZX in 23mm, and they're very durable, but I do get flats on occasion. With DD's, I've never had a problem. Ever.

I might try some 23's next time, as the 25's are pretty heavy. They ride nice, and are very comfortable on rough roads, too. As a training tire, they can't be beat in my book.

Here's my last major flat. Brand new tubular, with less than 100 miles on it. This is what my roads are like!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't ride in the salt, or even the rain for that matter, but I do ride on the worst roads I've set a tire on. I live in Phoenix, and our roads here just outright suck. You name it, we've got it.

Glass, nails, screws, gravel, sharp rocks, wires, cactus thorns, bolts, and anything else that be thrown from a car, fall off of a car, or migrate on to the road from the desert.

The only tires I've ridden here, that have never flatted, are my Ultremo DD's in 25mm width. I normally run Ultremo ZX in 23mm, and they're very durable, but I do get flats on occasion. With DD's, I've never had a problem. Ever.

I might try some 23's next time, as the 25's are pretty heavy. They ride nice, and are very comfortable on rough roads, too. As a training tire, they can't be beat in my book.

Here's my last major flat. Brand new tubular, with less than 100 miles on it. This is what my roads are like!!
Thanks Kevhogaz

I to ride the ZX in 23's and have nothing but praise for them. I also was thinking about opting for the 25's for this parts bin build and this bike when completed certainly won't be a light weight so the marginal weight penalty will be no big thing

·
Registered
172 Posts
Rode 2012 DDs last winter and really enjoyed their suppleness. Survived Seattle area winter without any issues. Tested new Vectran based 2013 DDs in last 1/4 of the winter and no change in road feel and as durable. But they are not as durable as 4-Seasons for example. I actually don't mind as I prefer the softer feel to the durability as long as they don't puncture. I rode on 23mms which on my Reynolds DV46UL-C were more like 21.5mm. Had the 2013 version on my spare wheels at Gorge Roubaix and a friend of mine used them and loved them on the gravel. They were so good that he was faster by rim's width - had to be my wheels and tires :)
I also enjoy the ZXes but I do get some reports of them shedding some fibers from the sidewalls. Never happened to me but I've seen it. Some people just cut the flying fibers, some burn the ends to prevent further shedding, others yet freak out. Again ZXes and DDs are supple and soft and they will pick up some road debris so check them after each ride and remove anything that is stuck to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the DDs this spring and they are my new favorite everyday training tire. I did get some miles in in that leftover salt/pebble road crap early spring here in the midwest without any issues. Last week I had a thin wire sticking out of the tread but it did not flat at all. I kept hearing this faint tick tick and could not figure out what it was until I got home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.