Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hide Age and DOB
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm pretty much blown away. I have a 1999 Schwinn Peleton with an aluminum fork. I'm in an upgrade mode, so I bought a carbon fork for it. I took the old fork off, tapped off the crown race and slipped it on the new fork; that is slipped it all the way on; WTF? Pulled out the calipers and sure as you know what it's 27mm; JIS. Now I haven't taken the time yet to tap out the cups and see that they are JIS also, but by 1999 wouldn't you have thought the JIS would have been long dead? If it does turn out to be JIS I'll just have the head tube machined and it needs a new headset anyway, but my 20 minute R&R just got longer and more expensive; like that's never happened before..:17:

Brad

·
Hide Age and DOB
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave Hickey said:
+2...JIS is alive and well.. Most Japanese Keirin bikes use JIS headsets. As Kerry and Fred said it's only the crown race that's different.. 27.0 vs 26.4...
Sorry, I was not clear. I also suspect that it is only the crown race. Since I don't own a quality headset press and won't use my bolt and washer setup on aluminum cups (picked up an Ultegra headset), I'll be leaving the R&R to my LBS. I'll let you know when I know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.