Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Schwinn will be reviving the Paramount name. While they have two carbon models that spark some interest, it is ignited with the little blurb that they will be offering a steel Paramount built in Waterford. Wonder if it will be lugged like a Waterford. Maybe more like a Gunnar.

I wonder if people will opt to go Waterford or Gunnar rather than Schwinn. Without details and pricing it is hard to figure out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/tech/2008/news/07-23
Schwinn will bring back its heralded Paramount nameplate once again with three range-topping models for 2009. The Paramount Series 8 and Series 9 bikes both feature so-called 'N'Litened Black Label' carbon frames and forks and some of the latest must-have technologies. The front end will incorporate a tapered-and-oversized 1 1/8"-to-1 1/4" steerer tube for better steering and braking precision while press-fit bottom bracket cups shed some grams and allow for a wider and stiffer down tube. The Series 9 will also include an integrated seat mast.

Both bikes will be SRAM-equipped with the Series 9 sporting the top-end Red group along with Mavic R-SYS wheels, FSA carbon bar and stem, and San Marco Zoncolan saddle. The Series 8 will be more of a workhorse rig with its SRAM Rival group Mavic Aksium hoops. Pricing is yet to be announced for either one but is expected to be decidedly high-value based on previous model years.

Perhaps the most intriguing Paramount frame, though, is the new steel model. We don't have much information just yet other than that it uses Reynolds' latest 953 tubing and lugged joints and will be fully hand-built in Waterford, Wisconsin. Sorry, we don't have any images to show you just yet, either, but we're guessing its classic aesthetics and modern materials will likely appeal to more than a handful of riders.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You can get a 953 Waterford with stainless fancy cut lugs, today.
The people who build Waterfords are the same people who built the "good" steel Paramounts.

· Scuzzo
93 Posts
just another carbon frame in the sea.
man Paramount sure was nice when it was steel and heavy.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats why i was wondering if people would opt for the Waterford/Gunnar bikes rather than the Schwinn. I think Schwinn would have to come up with something pretty special (and priced right) for people to pick the Paramount over the Waterford. Unless they think people will go Paramount because of the nameplate's history.

and my head spun a bit when i saw two Paramounts would be carbon sloping geometry bikes. "does not compute. does not compute." i guess they are still trying to get their name back in favor with serious racers/riders.

MR_GRUMPY said:
You can get a 953 Waterford with stainless fancy cut lugs, today.
The people who build Waterfords are the same people who built the "good" steel Paramounts.

· Registered
87 Posts
my biggest cycling mistake ever was not buying a Paramount for my first decent bike. Choices were a lot more limited then. I don't know what to think about this, when you can buy a schwinn at Target that pretty much ruined my thoughts about the value of their brand.

· Registered
232 Posts
Putting the Schwinn name on a Waterford these days (with Schwinn being on Walmart bikes and all) is about as sacrilegious as putting "Huffy" or "Murry" on hand built Serotta frames....wait, never mind

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"Unless they think people will go Paramount because of the nameplate's history."

That's the ticket.
There are many people out there with gobs of money who know nothing about bikes or Waterfords.

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Eh, Schwinn does market cheap walmart bikes, but they also still make decent bikes sold through LBS channels.

I don't understand the hang-up over the name. But then, I'm probably the type of person who would be inclined to choose a Paramount over a Waterford for nostalgic reasons. I suppose this is another sort of name hang-up.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I know this is the wrong thing to say, but if you ignore the nomenclature
problem, that's a nice bike!

· Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm sure the Schwinn family (Waterford/Gunnar) are more than happy to make some money (and probably some stunning production bikes) with the Paramount name on it again. I'm sure they would not have agreed to do the frames if the conditions were not favorable.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Scooper said:
It's interesting that Schwinn is calling the two CF frames "Series 8" and "Series 9". Just before the 1993 bankruptcy when the Schwinn family still owned the company, Kestrel (partly owned by Schwinn at the time) built the carbon fiber Schwinn Paramount "Series 9C".

http://waterfordbikes.com/now/home.php?newstype=pdgseries
Also, the 'Series' logo has come to indicate what part of the world they were made, though I guess that would still hold true for the carbon frames. - TF

· Registered
87 Posts
Schwinn has always had a bit of a dual nature anyway. Back in the '70s and '80s everything was either junk or overpriced up to the Parmount, which was a pretty good deal. I probably got close to having a hernia one of the many, many times I lifted a Varsity up on the storage hook at the bike shop, those things were heavy.

· Scuzzo
93 Posts
man that just makes me appreciate my schwinn Peloton a little bit more, good ole paramount geom on a beer budget, and not a bit of carbonfiber foo foo on the whole bike.... sans fork.. those frame sets are real sleepers and get be got on ebay for 200 or so bucks.. good 853 steel.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Looking forward to the 953's.

What is it with the hang up folks have about the Schwinn that are being sold @ Target and Walmart?

Even when Schwinn made some good frames they also sold junky ones. And actually, the weldings on these department store bikes today are actually nice, unlike the construction of their "friendly" bikes back in the day.

· Registered
393 Posts
Looking at carbon Paramount, I'm pretty sure that it is the next incarnation of ADK frames. Just compare it to Pedal Force ZX3 or 2008 carbon Scattante (whatever model name they put on it). Designs of a bottom bracket and, even more so, of seat stays, are dead giveaways. Not to mention similarities in top tube shape, head tube and in a variable shape of a down tube.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.