Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in steel....

Looking for a new project, and I have the option on three frames.

A) 99 Schwinn Peloton Pro (853 Steel): I have no idea what this bike is worth, or if it's worth building. ~$400

B) 01 Cervelo Prodigy (some fancy steel): I figure this one is a Cervelo, so it is worth a little at least in bling factor, and it gets good reviews (though not as good as the Super prodigy). ~$250 (but no fork)

C) 02 Bianchi XL Boron <something> (more fancy steel): It's Celeste. Wife thinks it is hideous. Gets good reviews too, but is more pricey. $600

What to do? All are framesets, so riding them is out of the question. Any advice from you guys?
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Lars Michelson (sp?) of CSC rode a Super Prodigy with fenders this winter. I've seen a few of em and they look nice. Nickel plated if I remember correctly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,627 Posts
Downshift said:
As in steel....

Looking for a new project, and I have the option on three frames.

A) 99 Schwinn Peloton Pro (853 Steel): I have no idea what this bike is worth, or if it's worth building. ~$400

B) 01 Cervelo Prodigy (some fancy steel): I figure this one is a Cervelo, so it is worth a little at least in bling factor, and it gets good reviews (though not as good as the Super prodigy). ~$250 (but no fork)

C) 02 Bianchi XL Boron <something> (more fancy steel): It's Celeste. Wife thinks it is hideous. Gets good reviews too, but is more pricey. $600

What to do? All are framesets, so riding them is out of the question. Any advice from you guys?
Thanks
from my knowledge, that prodigy and schwinn should be very similar, do you know what the tubing is on the biachi?

i would also look at how much the frames have all been ridden, not that steel really loses its "ride" or whatever, but the less the frame has been ridden, probably the better.
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
My main ride is still a Schwinn Peloton (853). It is very comfortable and handles well. It has the same geometry as the Paramount, without the lugs.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
What year was it that the Bianchi ultralight steel concoctions (esp the Boron) had some failure issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
i believe the 99 Schwinn Peloton Pro (853 Steel) has only the main tubes out 853 the stays are 725. it was one of the first bikes i saw with a straight blade fork, steel. not sure about the four hundred asking price? if the paint is really good shape. cool bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
The 01 Prodigy is a nice frame although I'm not a big fan of the white paint or lame decals. The fork they came with was nothing to write home about so no real loss there. I put probably 10k on one and have nothing but good things to say about the ride. I sold it for a song a couple of years back and in hindsight I should have kept it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as an update:

The Bianchi is out. Just more than it was worth in my opinion.

The Schwinn is overpriced. I talked to Larry at bikes123.com about a Paramount, but that's probably more than I want to spend for what I'd get. Same for the Peloton.

The Cervelo is still in the running, although I've found a few alternatives.

There's a NOS Coppi frame on eBay that's my size for $400. Never ridden one, or seen one in person, but it's steel, and Italian (that's 2 +'s in my book). And There's a Burley Wolf Creek in the classifieds for $500 with the fork. My size, but I don't know anything about them.

What I really want is something a little out of the ordinary, steel, and that will last for 5-10 years. Not a race bike, but not a tourer. Just good, all around performance. And oh yeah, a decent price tag.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
Downshift said:
Well, as an update:

The Bianchi is out. Just more than it was worth in my opinion.

The Schwinn is overpriced. I talked to Larry at bikes123.com about a Paramount, but that's probably more than I want to spend for what I'd get. Same for the Peloton.

The Cervelo is still in the running, although I've found a few alternatives.

There's a NOS Coppi frame on eBay that's my size for $400. Never ridden one, or seen one in person, but it's steel, and Italian (that's 2 +'s in my book). And There's a Burley Wolf Creek in the classifieds for $500 with the fork. My size, but I don't know anything about them.

What I really want is something a little out of the ordinary, steel, and that will last for 5-10 years. Not a race bike, but not a tourer. Just good, all around performance. And oh yeah, a decent price tag.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
This week on ebay there 2 Peletons and 2 paramounts. all less than $400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cmg said:
This week on ebay there 2 Peletons and 2 paramounts. all less than $400.
Yeah, I've seen both of the Pelotons. I wasn't as interested in them via eBay. Thanks for the tip on the Paramounts. I'll take a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, via eBay, I settled on a late model Schwinn Super Sport. Not sure of the exact year, but it's steel (Columbus Tenax to be exact). I'm pretty psyched about it.

I looked at dozens of bikes, and none really jumped out at me. I saw the SS and it said Buy Me. I guess you know that's the one to buy then.

Now to figure out how I want to build it!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top