Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have just finished my road bike build but i want a crapper that i can take to the bars and such around town. I was at our local hangout and saw a huge group of vintage ss riders and fell in love instantly. I am very new to the single speed thing and i have an all original 1974 yellow Schwinn Continental that was my fathers that i would like to convert into a simple fixed gear bike. what do i need? and is this bike even capible of being transformed? Has anyone converted one of these bike? any info would be awsome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
this is a well covered subject.. if you have long drop outs so you can move the wheel back and forward.. you can make it a fixie..

you can make any bike a single speed..

if it has long drop outs all you need is a new rear wheel with a fixed hub(assuming everything else is working..

but if you want to make it work better it helps to get a crank/bb that fits the chainline of the rear hub

·
Registered
193 Posts
Jeepson33s said:
Ok so i have just finished my road bike build but i want a crapper that i can take to the bars and such around town. I was at our local hangout and saw a huge group of vintage ss riders and fell in love instantly. I am very new to the single speed thing and i have an all original 1974 yellow Schwinn Continental that was my fathers that i would like to convert into a simple fixed gear bike. what do i need? and is this bike even capible of being transformed? Has anyone converted one of these bike? any info would be awsome.
if it really is all original and in decent shape, I'd keep it original. That would be very cool to cruise around on, and with the weight those things pack, you'll need the gears to move it.

I saw a clean conti recently and wished it were mine.

mg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.