Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Schwinn Cutter. I know, I know . . . many people will scoff, but I am really enjoying the bike. The most important thing(s) to me on a bike are how fun they are and how much/often I can ride. I am mostly a mt biker (two bikes), but wanted a cheap SS road bike. $299 at Performance, on sale for $249, had $53 in "Team Member" credit made it a simple decision.

Any way, I also really enjoy working on bikes and upgrading them. I'd rather buy a cheap bike and upgrade it, even if it costs the same in the end of a better bike, which seems to offend some, but it is fun for me and see above about fun.

I wanted to upgrade the seat post clamp, because this one sux, but couldn't find out the size. I contacted Schwinn and it is a 28.6mm in case someone else is looking. The handlebars are also 25.4 according to them, since it seems like many aren't happy with the stock ones (just cut them down a little).

Just thought I would try and provide "some" value with my first post in this forum. Thx.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
ElbowScabs said:
I recently bought a Schwinn Cutter. I know, I know . . . many people will scoff, but I am really enjoying the bike. The most important thing(s) to me on a bike are how fun they are and how much/often I can ride. I am mostly a mt biker (two bikes), but wanted a cheap SS road bike. $299 at Performance, on sale for $249, had $53 in "Team Member" credit made it a simple decision.

Any way, I also really enjoy working on bikes and upgrading them. I'd rather buy a cheap bike and upgrade it, even if it costs the same in the end of a better bike, which seems to offend some, but it is fun for me and see above about fun.

I wanted to upgrade the seat post clamp, because this one sux, but couldn't find out the size. I contacted Schwinn and it is a 28.6mm in case someone else is looking. The handlebars are also 25.4 according to them, since it seems like many aren't happy with the stock ones (just cut them down a little).

Just thought I would try and provide "some" value with my first post in this forum. Thx.
First of all, welcome to RBR...

There are plenty of bar options in 25.4.....Check Nitto or Soma for 25.4 drop bars and flat bars..

·
Registered
196 Posts
ElbowScabs said:

I did pretty much the same thing as you buying a Cutter to have some laughs with. I primarily use the Cutter to commute to work and run errands. I have no problem leaving it outside in crappy weather or late at night.

I swapped the saddle, cut the bars 1.5 inches on each side, and put some SPD pedals on.
I'll post some pics later.

Its a good bike for the money, looks clean, and like I said, I'm happy to use it as a workhorse. I hope you ride the bike into the ground too.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
ElbowScabs said:

Many people scoff? Only the snobs. Do you like it? It sounds nice. Enjoy it. People scoff at my pre-built and modified SE Lager. but years later it is still a nice bike and I love it.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
A from Il said:
Many people scoff? Only the snobs. Do you like it? It sounds nice. Enjoy it. People scoff at my pre-built and modified SE Lager. but years later it is still a nice bike and I love it.

+1....I've never heard anyone scoff at a Cutter.....nothing wrong with any of the $300-$400 bikes..buy 'em and ride 'em....

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
+1....I've never heard anyone scoff at a Cutter.....nothing wrong with any of the $300-$400 bikes..buy 'em and ride 'em....
Dont get me wrong. I would love to have a really nice FG but........... I wont ride a really nice bike and enjoy it.. I really like to keep them nice so they just hang in my office. Buy it, make it yours and enjoy it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well they are all very close in standover hieght. But unless you have really short or really long legs, you should be a medium. Measure your standover height to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.