Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
So I finally got this thing together and riding. Small adjustments to make, and hopefully soon get the brooks items on there. Sorry about the tail pack, but I needed something to carry this POS digi in. But, in the meantime...

· Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
North Branch Bike Trail

Is that the North Branch Trail in the north 'burbs of Chicago? (Background looks very familar)....

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, Northern Delaware Greenway:

http://www.delawaregreenways.org/

The trail is unfortunately short, but it does take you from the DE River through 5 state parks and into Wilmington. The 'unfortunate' part of the 'unfortunately short' comes in where the trail ends: right in the heart of the 'hood. However, if you survive Washington St., you will come into the Brandywine Creek Park area of the City, where there are some excellent sights to see.
First Parts - From the River to the current end of the greenway:

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part II:
Sorry, I don't usually stand around North Wilmington long enough to photograph the 'scenery', so feel free to use your imagination. Once you get through there, you come into the Brandywine River Park. There's an old Mill there, used to be a granite quarry as well. Lots to see, sorry for no more pics, I wasn't intending on going for a ride report :D :

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lazyrack said:
Steve, I see that you have the front brake neatly attached to one of the brake calipers, but what is the other brake caliper connected to?

-L
The brake levers you mean ?
If so, the second one isn't attached to anything; its there for the housing to grip onto. I'm working on figuring out a way of locking the lever in place; I just haven't thought about it yet.

· Registered
168 Posts
Steve, I ran into a small snag. My stem is too short. My riding position, while more upright, is still scrunched up. How well did turning the stem on the lathe work, and how difficult was the process? My father-in-law has a machinist's lathe, so I think he could turn down the stem I might use. I have a Kalloy adjustable stem that is fairly long.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well.....
The machining itself wasn't hard at all. Center it in the chucks, and 5mins later you should be done. The $5M question is how much material are you going to have left, and will it be enough ? You need to find a stem that has the thickest wall possible. If not, this could be you:

Im honestly a little leary about mine. I have quite a bit of material there.....but I suppose it will always be in the back of my mind. Unfortunately, there really isn't any other way of going about it. I thought about casting a new one (as I have access to a crucible), but you want this to be forged, NOT cast.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Which model is that? Sorry if you posted than info all ready.

In any case, judging from the looks of the stamped rear drop, it appears you've done a magnificent job of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The Smithsonian's got nuthin' on you! I love it when someone takes a functional old frame and does something creative and/or beautiful with it.

Nice work!

- FBB

· Registered
168 Posts
I'm with FBB, Steve, the more I look at that bike, the more I like it. And I just love that bar tape color in combination with the cream/green color scheme. I can't wait to see it with Brooks accessories on it. A work of art. FBB, remember that orange Davidson with all the Brooks stuff? I just drooled over the paint on the lugwork. I think I will use that, and Steve's, for inspiration for my Traveler, except with a metallic ruby and cream color scheme.

· Registered
168 Posts
My dad said it used to be a fairly common trick to cut and weld a neck onto another stem, so that the diameter and the reach would be right. I have another Sakae stem that may be the right diameter, but the same length as the current one. I could explore the option of having my FIL cut and weld the two together. A seatpost with an angle could help some, too.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
slowmo1 said:
My dad said it used to be a fairly common trick to cut and weld a neck onto another stem, so that the diameter and the reach would be right. I have another Sakae stem that may be the right diameter, but the same length as the current one. I could explore the option of having my FIL cut and weld the two together. A seatpost with an angle could help some, too.
Youz guyz are scaring me. Please be VERY careful when you mess with stems. It doesn't take much of a stress riser to cause a failure which could end your life. You can find new and used stems in almost every shape and size. I encourage you to look at what's already available before you starting making chips fly.

Yours,

Forbes

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
slowmo1 said:
My understanding is that these particular stems have a proprietary diameter of .833 and are very hard to find. My stem is too short. What options should I be pursuing?
There have been many, many .833 stems made over the years. Have you checked out eBay? You might also want to post queries on:

The iBOB list on bikelist.org
The Classic Rendevous list on bikelist.org
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bicycle_Restoration

If worst came to worst, you could have a framebuilder make you a stem. That wouldn't be cheap, but you could spec it any way you wanted.

I just hate the thought of you tasting your front tire if a stem broke.

Sorry to be a fuddy-duddy,

FBB

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.