Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Swobo is $200 more has room for fenders and big tires plus fender/rack mounts plus it had more relaxed geometry and slightly better components
Schwinn is cheaper, has half breed steep but long geometry and little tire clearance.

Looks aside, the Schwinn is more of a “Hipster” bike. For an old dude like myself the Swobo is a much more versatile bike, plus it’s got a built in bottle opener.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Schwinn has plenty of clearance and mounts for fenders - I know because I have one and it has full fenders. Don't know how wide a tire it can fit because I have no need for wide tires. My recollection is that there is plenty of room for anything that would fit on a standard 700 rim. For what it's worth, I love my Madison. My reasons for loving it may be different than your reasons for wanting one though. I wanted cost-effective simplicity. As it happens, the geometry works very well for me (although I threw pursuit bars on it which look out of place but make it much more comfortable for me). I will say that it's heavy (basically a pretty tank). In short, its a stark contrast to my "normal" carbon road bike. Aesthetics are as individual as bike fit, but I do receive constant comments about the bike's looks.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
I got my Schwinn Madison because I am:

A) Hipster
B) was good value for money and doesn't look too bad.

You can run full fenders* But only up to 25c on the back and a 28c on the front- even then the cleareances are still very tight. But it works for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run SKS P35 fenders on mine - which fit perfectly (I don't think the P45s would fit). SKS says they will fit up to a 28c tire, so that seems to comport with your experience.
I'm not sure I'm cool enough to be a Hipster. I just like riding it. (and it was really cheap - $350)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.