Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa use to own a bike shop in Evanston, IL and I have his old Schwinn Paramount. I have no idea what this bike is worth. Everything is Campi spec from the headset to the crank. It says RC Monsen Special on the down tube (Grandpa's name). Any idea where the Serial number is?

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
Serial number will be on the left rear dropout. It will be a letter (A-M) followed by two digit representing the year, followed by two or three digits. C7483 would be the 83rd Paramount built in March, 1974.

In really good original condition, they can sell for $1,000 to $1,500.

With the eyelets on the dropouts and the double chainring, it looks like a mid-seventies P10-9.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
unterhausen said:
that bike originally came with weinmann centerpulls, correct? I had forgotten those freakish stem shifters.

the unused cable hanger would say yes... but it's got a flickstand! you don't see those much anymore...

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
unterhausen said:
that bike originally came with weinmann centerpulls, correct?
Yes. The P10-9 and P15-9 are touring bikes and could be fitted with fenders. Side-pulls didn't give enough fender clearance, so the Weinmann center-pulls (610 front, 750 rear) were the OEM brakes.

The P13-9 professional road racer also came standard with the Weinman center-pulls, but Campy side-pulls were available as an extra cost option (the P13-9 didn't have the fender option, so no clearance problem).

My guess is that the OP's grandfather decided he'd never put fenders on this P10-9, so he replaced the Weinmann center-pulls with the side-pulls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.