Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the vintage scene, but have become enamored of these elegant, timeless steel works of art I have seen online. I am not inclined to move into the fixie realm, but I am working on a old Schwinn, with the intention of having another bike I can keep at work and ride at lunch, etc.

Thus far, I have won, on Ebay, a 1980-ish Schwinn Traveler that has had some parts replaced in the recent past. Of course, this diminishes its "retro" appeal, but ultimately I want to have a very useable, "bombproof" bike. According to the pictures and what I was able to observe, it has the 1020 high-tensile steel frame, which is the heavy one. While I would prefer the cro-moly, is this material still a reasonably comfortable ride? The previous owner also replaced the crank with a RPM crank. My research tells me that this is the same as an FSA crank. Any info you can offer on this? It also has a new rear derailleur, which the seller described as "index-ready". I was unable to identify it from the picture, but perhaps one of you could based on your experience. Seller also mentioned new tires, but gave no details.

In a separate auction, I won a Schwinn moustache bar, with Shimano brakes and Suntour stem shifters. I was thinking about putting this on a Raleigh mixte I got for my wife, but I am reconsidering, since I want an unusual ride. What are your thoughts?

What other suggestions would you offer? I am anxiously waiting for my items to arrive so I can get started.

I will post more pictures once I have the bike and handlebars onhand and can truly determine the situation.

FWIW, this is the bike I wanted, but didn't win.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7242001479&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's some photos of mine thus far; converting it into a fixie. I stripped the frame, removed all the tabs, and painted. I still need to find some wide pin striping to go around the 'seam' where the white and green meet.
Hopefully tomorrow my spokes will arrive (DT Revolutions), so I can lace up my wheels (SUN TA1's to IRO hubs). I ordered new bars, levers, and a stem that should be arriving Monday as well..So hopefully I can take it for a spin by the end of the week.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It was chrome-tipped, but pitted pretty bad. It took a while to get it into a nice paintable surface.

Here's info on the paint:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=597885&postcount=19

And the addition I had was to do all of your lug outlines after the color wetsand. This will let the paint go on smoother and stick better...Plus you don't want to wetsand the line anyway, as its one thin coat.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don't lose your stems, guys!!

Older Schwinns, except for the Paramount, used the old American 0.833" stem size. When Schwinn was importing bikes from Panasonic in Japan, there were some nice forged road stems made with .833" quills. They are now almost impossible to find, except with a handlebar on one side and a bike on the other.

QBP, J&B, and Merry Sales only have the beachcruiser style now. Steel, with a very long quill and almost no reach. Not really suitable for road bike use.

How do I know? My 1977 Super Le Tour 12.2 (was fixed, now a 1x6 North Road barred grocery / liquor store / bar bike) came with the original stem. It's a 10 cm, and I'd really prefer a 12, especially with the North Road's significant rearward reach. I've not found one. The weird thing is that the OD of the steerer tube us the same as a regular 1" threaded fork. It's just the ID that's different (21.15 mm vs 22.2.) iBoB list wisdom is that I have 3 choices: A new fork, having the steerer reamed out, or having a new steerer brazed into the fork.

For now, I've decided to live with the short stem... It's not a long-distance bike anyway.

Other than that one issue, these are fantastic bikes. Mine was built with DB 4130 main tubes and 1020 stays and fork. It's no lightweight, but with a long rear end, and a pretty raked-out fork, it's a sweet ride. With 700c wheels and Dia-Compe 610 centerpulls, it'll take a true 32 mm tire, and 28s would work with fenders, easy.

--Shannon
--Shannon

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate waiting for my stuff to get delivered!! I get so paranoid....think everything's broken, or I got ripped off....breathe deep....Man, I am so ready for that Schwinn to get here. And the moustache bars, and the Brooks B-17 honey saddle.

Grrrrrr......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slowmo1 said:
I hate waiting for my stuff to get delivered!! I get so paranoid....think everything's broken, or I got ripped off....breathe deep....Man, I am so ready for that Schwinn to get here. And the moustache bars, and the Brooks B-17 honey saddle.

Grrrrrr......
And now I am waiting for Suntour Bar con bar-end shifters for the moustache bar, and am looking at a leather saddle bag.....somebody stop me! I'm outta control!:D

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Man, thats a nice looking bike. Just now seen it. The Brooks saddle will be great on it too, btw. If you dont mind my opinion, ditch the mustache bars and stay with drop bars on that cool old sled. Save the mustache bars for your future commuter bike. Just MO. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do with it. I want to keep it at work, so I can ride on lunch break, or perhaps run errands after work, and then go home in the car. I guess it will be a "semi-commuter". I have to see how the drop bars fit me, as I like a wider bar. One reason I want to use the Schwinn this way, I will probably ride this more frequently, possibly for shorter rides, than I would my aluminum Schwinn Fastback. The Fastback has narrower tires, and is faster, but will likely be less comfortable. I was toying with the idea of getting an adjustable stem for the Fastback, so that I could move the handlebars up, to a more upright sitting position, but I will run into a problem with my cables. Therefore, I am leaving the Fastback the same, with the exception of the saddle, which I will replace with the Trek saddle from off the Traveler, if I like it. The lycra/gel/plush saddle on my Fastback will go on my wife's Raleigh, and the low-end Brooks on the Raleigh will be placed in my parts bin. I will also probably pull the rack off my Fastback and put it on the Traveler.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my Traveler!

Finally! Everything arrived in seeming good shape. I just unpacked it so I could stuff it in my car, and everything appeared to be ready to be assembled. The component questions I can better answer now. First of all, the rear derailleur is a Shimano Tourney, which appears adequate, but nothing special. The shifters are Shimano, the rear sprockets are Shimano, as are the hubs. The handlebar seems ok, but looks kinda flimsy to me, but that might be due to the vinyl bar wrap. The tires are cheap Kenda 27x1 1/4. The brakes are either Dia-Compe, or made for Schwinn by Dia-Compe. The frame looks straight, and the paint is fair. There are enough scratches in the paint that I will want to look into a paint job. In regards to that, I do not necessarily want to go original, but I would like a complete set of decals if I were to repaint the frame. What are your suggestions?

I think this will turn out quite well. I just wish I knew what I was doing!:D

Pics to follow when I get home to my digicam!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lotsa Pictures!

Here are the photos I took this evening. This is how the bike arrived. While it does have quite a few superficial scrapes and scratches, everything mechanical seems in order. The brakes do need adjusting, as I can feel them rubbing. I also want to make sure the wheels are in round. Ok, what I noticed about this bike. First, notice the brake handles. I have never seen a brake release like this. I took a closer look at the label on the brakes, and read "Schwinn Approved". Notice the scrape on the right shoulder of the fork. It's pretty bad, and makes me wonder if someone lost control at speed. The front hub is Shimano. Anyone know which model? The pedals that came with it are metal body MTB platforms that I am going to continue using. Should make good commute pedals. Could not identify the rear hub, but I think it is Shimano, same as the front. The cassette says Shimano (UG- VLA?). Tourney derailleur. Shimano FE front derailleur. The decals clearly illustrate that this bike was ridden. The stem shifters are Shimano, and worked fairly well. The moustache handlebar (which I suspect is NOT a moustache bar) and the Shimano brake levers are what I am considering putting on this bike. The levers say Super SLR, and the gum hoods were terribly hard to clean, but they are better now. These came on the moustache bar and were mounted in a Sakae stem with a Suntour stem shifter that feels really solid and has index shifting on the right side. It clicks 8 times, so I don't know if I can use it. What do y'all suggest? Stick with the Shimano, or go with the Suntour that seems more solid and indexes? Also note the brand, spanking new B-17! That thing is hard, but I got the Proofide with it, so I am set.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looks awesome. Love the seat, Im looking to get myself one as well (along with the matching bar wrap). Does it have the copper rails ?
Here's the latest on mine. Bar wrap is temp., as I just needed SOMETHING on there. Hopefully I'll get a temp. saddle and the chain/cog on there today.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Just an observation

Slowmo1, the tape is a natural color cork tape, many mfgers, it may also come in a synthetic cork. Honestly i like the synthetic stuff better, it is stronger and easily cleanable. How about cloth?

Both of my old bikes came with 27" rims. So did both of yours, Steve-H i see you have your brake pads dropped all the way down. Just for future reference, Sun rims makes a box style rim that is high polish 27" alu rim, Sun CR18 I believe and can be had at bikepartsusa.com I have been looking into getting a set of specialty type wheels made up, one a single speed flip/flop hub for my chrome single (thats alot of bling) and one using the shimano generator hub so I can mount a generator light on my Viscount tour/commute rig

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve, I also just noticed the stem on your bike is not stock, or at least it doesn't resemble mine. What kind/model, and how long is it? I think mine will be almost too short. Of course that is based on riding my other road bike, which is much less upright. Thanks, LG for the tip about the rims. I will have to check into that. What do you think the weight difference would be between them? One thing I observed about my rims, they are the same as the rims on my wife's Raleigh. Steve, what rims are you using? I can't quite make out the brand.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.