Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this schwinn voyageur for sale and wondering what I should offer. Here are the details:

Deore SP derailluers front and rear , Tange Champion #2 Chrome Molybden Steel butted tubing , Suntour chrome dropouts front and rear , Takagi triple front chain rings , 5 speed rear freewheel , Tourney AD cranks , Shimano Via HA hubs , Araya 27" rims , Dia Compe G brakes , Tange headset , SR LaPrade seat post , KKT Pro Vic II pedals , SR World Custom handlebars , Custom stem , front & rear touring racks , brand new gumwall tires . The frame measures 25" or 63.5cm .

Would this be a good bike to work off of if I was planning to tour across country?

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are asking 500. He is firm. There is no major damage on the frame as far as I can tell. Only a few spots that need paint touch ups. And the decals are a little worn but probably don't need to be replaced. What are some signs that the bike might might be stolen. The guy seems to know alot about it but he has so many bikes and they are all in a wide range of sizes. The voyaguer is my size

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
tree98 said:
They are asking 500. He is firm. There is no major damage on the frame as far as I can tell. Only a few spots that need paint touch ups. And the decals are a little worn but probably don't need to be replaced. What are some signs that the bike might might be stolen. The guy seems to know alot about it but he has so many bikes and they are all in a wide range of sizes. The voyaguer is my size
There's two selling on ebay now. The best by far is: http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Schwinn-Vo...tDomain_0&hash=item2eb33fa420#ht_20088wt_1139

Watch the sales and use them to determine the fair market price, which is well below $500.

this is actually quite a decent touring bike and probably worth $200-$300 in very good condition.

Any 30 year old bike, even one that looks perfect, is probably in need of some repairs. One common problem is frozen spoke nipples.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
tree98 said:
Aha thank you this is what I wanted to hear. What about a 71 near mint voyageur II?
Uh, there was no '71 Voyageur or Voyageur II. The Voyageur model was first introduced as a 1973 "World Voyageur".. It had a "World" headbadge instead of a Schwinn headbadge because Schwinn didn't know how consumers would react to a Schwin branded bike imported from Japan (the World Voyageur was built by Panasonic).

The World Voyageur was so well received that the Schwinn-Approved Voyageur II was introduced for the 1974 model year and was Schwinn branded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scooper said:
Uh, there was no '71 Voyageur or Voyageur II. The Voyageur model was first introduced as a 1973 "World Voyageur".. It had a "World" headbadge instead of a Schwinn headbadge because Schwinn didn't know how consumers would react to a Schwin branded bike imported from Japan (the World Voyageur was built by Panasonic).

The World Voyageur was so well received that the Schwinn-Approved Voyageur II was introduced for the 1974 model year and was Schwinn branded.

I apologize. It is a 74 Voyageur II.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
tree98 said:
I apologize. It is a 74 Voyageur II.
No apology necessary. I was just trying to make sure you knew there wasn't a '71 in case some uninformed seller was passing off a Voyageur II as having been made in '71. :D

They're really nice bikes and have some value to collectors even though they're a bit heavy by today's standards. I don't think they're particularly well suited to loaded touring, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.