Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

When it comes to Road bikes, all I've ever owned were Scott bikes. I started with the CR1 and upgraded to the Addict after a few years. I jumped again when Ultegra Di2 came out and I never looked back.

Unfortunately, my frame just cracked and I'm out of a bike. With the crash replacement that I'm being offered, it pays to sell it and buy a new bike. My bike shop is offering me the following 2 choices:

2016 Scott Addict Ultegra 11 Di2
2016 BMC GF02 Ultegra 11 Di2

I know nothing about BMC. I really like the Addict ride. Supposedly it's excellent for hills. I was told by the bike shop owner (who I trust implicitly) that the BMC is a step up from Scott, but it's totally up to me. I'm going for a test ride on Thursday. I'm just wondering if any one of you has any knowledge or experience who can point out the pros/cons of either choice.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If you can, go in and ride the BMC and decide for yourself which you like better. You already know what the Addict rides like. I've owned Guerciotti, Rossin, Medici, Paramount, Abici, Guerciotti, Scapin and I am now looking at getting a Cyfac. So as you can see I'm not big on brand loyalty.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Thank you for your comment!

Can you please elaborate just a bit?
The two bikes are quite different both in fit and in feel.

One of them is short and tall and made for sitting more upright and riding more comfortably. One of them is a race bike made for climbing mountains.

You currently have the race bike. The GF-02 is the "endurace" short and tall bike.

The GF-02 might feel more stable where as the Addict will be more precise and nimble.

What does the stem situation on the current bike setup look like?

Do you have spacers under the stem?
How long is the stem?
What angle is the stem?

If you have spacers under your stem now and it's a short stem pointed upwards, a move to the GF-02 might suit you well. However if your stem is longer, lower and closer to the frame you'll end up like me and have to get a -25 degree 120mm stem just for a proper fit.

If the addict fits you well now, stick with it as the GF-02 is a different fit and feel altogether. But if the Addict is too racey or too twitchy for you the GF-02 will be a good move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're 100% correct. He did mention that I'll be sitting a tad more upright on the BMC than on the Scott. As far as the measurements of them stem etc. I am not that familiar. The stem is set a bit higher than the post. I am attaching a photo of the bike (taken a minute after I purchased it last year) so you can see the setup.

I am not a racer at all. I ride a century once a season. Since I live in a very hilly area what's most important to me is to be able to crank it up a hill without getting winded. Did I mention that I'm 5' 9" and weigh about 200? Not really racer quality :))

I realize that they are two separate bikes. I'm just trying to figure out what class each bike is so I can figure out what I'm getting into if I take the BMC. The bike shop claims that the BMC is a more "classy" bike (somewhere in the Cervello league). Will the BMC be a step down from the Scott? A step up? The same?

Thank you for your attention and help!
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Based on what you've said and shown I'd say go for the BMC, it's a much better fit for you.

I own a BMC GF-02 by the way, it's an amazing bike. I don't have anything bad to say about it. The geometry is better suited for you. Size 54 in the BMC, right? I think there's a lot about the BMC you will appreciate, from the lower bottom bracket drop to the longer wheelbase to the better suited stack and reach. It's a very comfortable and well made bike. I own a Cervelo R5 as well. In terms of league? I think all three are on level ground personally. Scott, BMC and Cervelo are all top notch.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'd agree with MMsRepBike. I also own a GF02. I think the thing you'll appreciate the most about it will be the compliance and comfort. It really is an "All Day" bike without compromising stiffness on the bottom end.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
The current Scott Addict 10 in 52cm size. (is that your current size?)
Stack 527mm
Reach 384mm

The BMC GF-20 in 54cm:
Stack 563mm
Reach 375mm

Each standard size spacer under a stem is 10mm.

So, on the BMC, the bars will be about 36mm higher and 9mm farther back. That seems good, based on your photo above. You can have fewer spacers and won't need to swap out the 6 degree stem for one with a bigger angle.

Stack and Reach

Stack and reach, which is measured from the center of the crank axle and the center of the top of the head tube.

·
Registered
486 Posts
MMS is exactly right. I have ridden both bikes a fair amount, and based on your requirements, and ability, and the photo of your current set-up that you provided, you will be MUCH happier with the BMC. The addict that you have now, probably does not handle in the way in which it was designed. The BMC still climbs well but is a lot more compliant and stable. Especially on descents. The addict is supposed to be precise, and nimble, with a long and low flat-backed riding position. Again, the way you have yours set up probably makes the front end feel less stiff and not as precise. You will really like the GF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts