1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is a hell of a team name!:p

Spanish Vuelta won't invite team, despite new sponsor

Associated Press

Updated: August 7, 2008, 11:34 AM ET

MADRID, Spain -- The Scott-American Beef cycling team won't be invited to the Spanish Vuelta following a doping scandal at the Tour de France.

The team, formerly known as Saunier-Duval, changed sponsors after Riccardo Ricco and Leonardo Piepoli of Italy each tested positive for the blood-booster EPO during the Tour.

Vuelta organizers said Thursday that Scott-American Beef is not welcome at the race, but didn't specify its reasons for excluding the team.

The team withdrew from the Tour and was banned from all competition by the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping tribunal. Ricco and Piepoli were fired.

· Registered
232 Posts
New sponsor means nothing if they can't get their house in order

How about a new internal doping control ala Garmin, Columbia, CSC, and Astana

If I were a sponsor investing millions of dollars a year, I'd insist on internal controls!

Its no coincidence that Slipstream, High Road, and CSC were able to find new sponsors while Credit Agricole cannot even w/o a doping scandal.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,546 Posts
ti-triodes said:
This shouldn't be too suprising. It's pretty much the same team-- minus Ricco and Piepoli-- isn't it?
Too bad for Team American Sausage. :D

· Registered
192 Posts
While I can see the Vuelta (49% owned by ASO) to be concerned about doping @ S-D despite their sacking of Ricco and Piepoli, I think it's hypocritical that they don't also exclude Liquigas (Beltran) and Credit Agricole (Fofonov) from the race as well.

· Registered
93 Posts
jorgy said:
I've heard that argument. But let's face it, when someone says 'American' 99.9% of the time it means from the US of A.
Only if you're in the US of A.

Outside it has a far broader meaning.

What percentage of the large cycling events take place inside the States (as we call it here).

G

·
Whatever you call my country, I am glad to see S-D out of the Vuelta, I never did like Ricco. More for the things he said than because I thought he might be a doper.

· Banned
608 Posts
There is a simple solution to this. The team should hire Johan Bruyneel.

· Banned
608 Posts
stcanard said:
Only if you're in the US of A.

Outside it has a far broader meaning.

What percentage of the large cycling events take place inside the States (as we call it here).
Oh, B.S. Go anywhere in the world, call yourself American, and no one will think you are from Canada or Mexico or Columbia or anywhere other than the U.S.A.

· World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
They should reduce the name to just "Scott's Beef".

· Registered
545 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Oh, B.S. Go anywhere in the world, call yourself American, and no one will think you are from Canada or Mexico or Columbia or anywhere other than the U.S.A.
Have you traveled? Last year I spent te summer traveling throughout Europe and despite making it loud and clear that I was from Canada I was always introducd to people as American....I tried correcting people several times, including the family who I stayed with for 16 days in Italy, but they didn't understand the correction....they later explained that they call people Amercan over there regardless of whether you're from Canada, the US, or Mexico. ....where did you find the opposite?

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Scott-American Beef sounds like a group of Americans proud of their Scottish heritage.

"they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR BEEF!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.