Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this in the BIKES forum, but being a sub-12lb everyday bike, I figured it was worthy here as well.

I can't remember what the lowest weight I had on this bike was, but I thought this was pretty impressive. I think it was around 11.65 lbs. This version is 11.99 - .025 for the strap it's hanging from for an 11.965 lb weight, including the garmin 500 and speed/cadence sensor.

The difference between this version and the old version is this is setup involves a shimano 7900 11-27 cassette and edge 1.45 wheels (extralite hubs) instead of the stronglight 11-25 cassette and reynolds cirro sv wheels I had on for a light setup-- what you see here is the "everyday" setup I use. The cassette and wheel weight difference accounts for somewhere around 70-100g more weight. There have been some other changes-- mini i-links, edge 2.0 fork replaced by a 1.0 fork, 1 cm shorter extralite stem, fsa headset replaced by kcnc morion. I'll be cutting down the fork a bit more so that will drop a spacer or two and some steerer tube for a bit more weight savings (evolution of my position on the bike).

I'm in my 4th year of riding this frame-- still love it.

Current build:

Frame: 2006 scott cr1 sl
Fork: edge 1.0
headset: kcnc morion (extralite ultrastar expander)
wheelset: edge 1.45 w/ extralite hubs, challenge criterium tires, m2racer (non-qr) skewers
crankset: lightning 170mm compact w/ 50t stronglight ct2, 34t extralite octaramp, extralite chainring bolts
pedals: time iclic titan
chain: kmc x10sl
cassette: dura ace 7900 11-27 (should probably switch to 11-25)
cables/housing: brake- i-links w/ power cordz, gears- mini i-links
brakes: kcnc cb1 w/ swissstop yellow pads
seatpost: xx-light sp31 w/ lotz seatpost clamp
saddle: MLD 130mm
front derailleur: campy chorus (tuned)
rear derailleur: sram red (tuned)
stem: extralite ul3 90mm
handlebars: schmolke tlo white carbon (thanks madcow)
shifters: sram red w/ btp clamps EDIT: I forgot I have 3 sets of btp carbon hoods- that should account for 20-30g of weight savings (I think the hudz weigh about 60g, so could be even more savings).
bottle cages: emporelli dolomiti (love these)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Aren't you legally required to put a string and a weight on there so the bike does not float up and get tangled into powerlines?:D

I think my crankset weighs more than your bike!!! (but my knees love my triple)

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
Nice. How do you like the iLink/mini-iLink cables? They're very popular in the mtb ww world, but I was curious about their popularity in the road world. Do you have the iLinks going all the way to the shift/brake levers, or do they stop at the handlebar tape?

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
c_kyle said:
Nice. How do you like the iLink/mini-iLink cables? They're very popular in the mtb ww world, but I was curious about their popularity in the road world. Do you have the iLinks going all the way to the shift/brake levers, or do they stop at the handlebar tape?
I like them- they work just fine- less of a PITA than the Nokons were. Mine run under the bar tape to the shifters.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
c_kyle said:
Good to hear the iLinks are working well. How do you like the KCNC brakes with the SRAM levers? How's modulation and stopping power?

I've had no issues. I posted on weightweenies about how I was descending around 45mph and a car pulled out in front of me doing about 20-- I hit the brakes- low and behold, I was able to stop, no issues. I weight about 150-155lbs, and the kcnc's work just fine for me.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Make sure your scale is accurate. I had one of those scales at work. Found out my bike wasn't as light as I thought it was. It was over 1/2 off when compared to the Park Tool scale.

But nontheless, nice bike.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
frdfandc said:
Make sure your scale is accurate. I had one of those scales at work. Found out my bike wasn't as light as I thought it was. It was over 1/2 off when compared to the Park Tool scale.

But nontheless, nice bike.

yeah, cross checked it with a friend's scale and compared some lighter stuff with my gram scale. If anything, this weight is higher than it should be, but not by much. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.