Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My first time here...really need some help please....
Last year I picked up a Scott USA AFD Elite road bike, all was well, until loose headset issues.
I had to force the seized fork from headset, when finally out was not sure what came from where...?
The top definitely has a sealed bearing, but bottom looked to be caged...after a LOT of different attempts to replace, im now not sure if part of the bearing is still in the headset tube.
The heaset appears to be Intergrated and ive spent plenty of time looking and scratching at the bottom tube with nothing coming loose/out. Allso tried to fit various diffent bearing combinations, but the gap always remains too big when the fork is reinserted. I ve just ordered a headset cup remover just incase that will help...can you....?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,489 Posts
Sounds to me like cheap headset bearings. The outer race for the bottom bearing is most likely stuck in the frame. Doubtful a headset cup remover will help, but it might. This is generally the result of a lack of maintenance. All you have to do to confirm is use your eyes and take a look in the bottom of the head tube. Do you see something that looks strangely like the outer race of a cartridge bearing and some rust?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uumm yeah sounds poss, i reckon it was the original set from when built...the bottom cup looks completely different from the top..(see pics) top has smooth inner sleeve to receive a sealed 41mm bearing..bottom looks factory/ machined (threaded?) Have had a good go trying to prise out anything that shouldn't be there...? I dont have the bottom bearing that came out and pretty sure it wasnt a sealed one as top..
Any suggestions...?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe this wlll help...

Attachments

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,489 Posts
Obviously ( or maybe not ) the outer race of the lower bearing is stuck in the headtube cup. The upper is fine and ready for a new bearing. This is generally how it goes as the lower gets more abuse and is more likely to rust/corrode. Have fun getting it out. Start w/ penetrating oil and go from there. I've had to use a Dremel and cut off wheel to cut them into pieces then pop them out. For future bearings grease, and lots of it, is your friend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obviously ( or maybe not ) the outer race of the lower bearing is stuck in the headtube cup. The upper is fine and ready for a new bearing. This is generally how it goes as the lower gets more abuse and is more likely to rust/corrode. Have fun getting it out. Start w/ penetrating oil and go from there. I've had to use a Dremel and cut off wheel to cut them into pieces then pop them out. For future bearings grease, and lots of it, is your friend.
I can now see a lot better with the Hi res pics from my camera phone, it definitely seized in there isn't it..
Dont have a rotary cutter..what type of oil/product should i attack it with..can i then maybe go at it with a hammer & chisel...eeekk.
Thought id never work out what was wrong...still cant get anywhere near booking in to LBS
Especially with issue like this, they wont touch it....
I am determined to sort it & get my budget lightweight racer up and running again..
Thanks for your input....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts