Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
leave alone

climberbo said:
I have some small but annoying scratches on one of my new ultegra shifters. Any suggestions on how to get those out?
Not certain, but it may be anodizing, not paint, polish, or clear coat. When I tried to buff scratches out of a DA crank, which I then learned was anodized, it was extremely difficult and made a mess of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed said:
Not certain, but it may be anodizing, not paint, polish, or clear coat. When I tried to buff scratches out of a DA crank, which I then learned was anodized, it was extremely difficult and made a mess of it.

Shimano's web site says aluminum/clear coat on the ultegra, and it says DA is anodized aluminum.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
climberbo ,

if you like to keep to your bike in good cosmetic condition (like me!), don't let the other comments deter you.

There's no reason for a bike to look like crapola, unless you frequently race and/or crash a lot.

my other hobby is cars, and it's considered perfectly acceptable to keep even an occasional drag race car looking "mint" .. I haven't figured out yet, why many in the cycling community "look down" on someone whose bike is maintained nice looking. In the car community, one would be admired for the extra effort.

PS: I left a comment on your posting in the other sub-forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, dude. It's not that I would mind the scratches all that much, if they were wounds from my own hard fought miles. However I just got the bike today and noticed them during the "just got it home" inspection, which of course is always more thorough than the one in the LBS. LBS was not sympathetic, given their experience with Shimano ("the warranty is mechanical not cosmetic." Understandable, but careless shipping a/o handling by someone.). Not a big deal in the long run; just wondering if there is an easy cosmetic fix. Sounds like a wax or Scratch Out will do the trick. Thanks to all for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.