Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I bought into it. I paid the $38.

We're sorry about the picture breakup.

We're sorry, we're experiencing technical difficulties with the server. Please stand by.

We're sorry

The biggest stage of the Dauphine to Mt Ventoux? I'm told "it doesn't get better than this!" And they've made it free for everyone! We're sorry, system error: stream error : servers too congested.

Bad data detected. Reduce from 1200 to 800? From 800 to 400? From 400 to 200? From 200 to 100? (yeah, that happened.)

---

It's great to be able to watch these races, it really is. But forty bucks is pretty expensive for the reliability rate it's had so far...

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I got it working for the Ventoux stage for the moment. I'll amend my screw to maybe just a washer or two, because it is very nice when it does work. The camera was so close you could hear Vasseur's breathing.

"Sorry, but we've got a few technical issues with brian's microphone, we'll get that sorted out here shortly..."

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Argentius said:
yeah, I got it working for the Ventoux stage for the moment. I'll amend my screw to maybe just a washer or two, because it is very nice when it does work. The camera was so close you could hear Vasseur's breathing.

"Sorry, but we've got a few technical issues with brian's microphone, we'll get that sorted out here shortly..."

only problem I had with the giro and working the last 30 minute segments is that fast forward fast forwarded - but when I hit play - it would start over again?!

and then when I say "ok" to use a lesser bandwidth - the video starts all over again! WTF I just learned to keep hitting cancel until it takes. hahaha :idea:

G

·
arthurmcw said:
I haven't had any problems...
Well, that would probably explain why you have a more positive view. Personally, I'd like to get it, but would rather wait till most of the bugs are worked out.

If I had the problems Argentius did, I be pretty P.O.ed - 100 kbps - that totally sucks for video! Heck, It's even below the norm for mp3s (128 kpbs) :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had times when I had to watch it in very low quality. What I am saying is that something is better than nothing. Think about how much we would be complaining if all we had to watch of the giro was the little recap show on oln with an hour of commercials.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
AJL said:
Personally, I'd like to get it, but would rather wait till most of the bugs are worked out.
A start-up like this only has so much capital. If everyone took this approach, it would go bankrupt before it could reach a high quality level.

Those who watched cycling.tv 1.5 years know how far it has already come. We need to keep supporting it so it can continue to develop. The new 'player' seems better than the old one but it certainly still sucks. The number of races is certainly better. Now, they of course need to up their bandwidth, I hope they do it soon, but it's of course an incremental process.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I'm down on them too

Argentius said:
It's great to be able to watch these races, it really is. But forty bucks is pretty expensive for the reliability rate it's had so far...
I have been having lots of problems as well. Yesterday I watched the Ventoux stage highlights, the 30 minute part 1 I watched at ~5 PM PST and I had excellent bandwidth and a smooth feed. Then I tried to watch part 2 at ~11 PM PST and I could not get through it, I kept losing connection. I finally gave up and went to bed!

This morning I had time before work to watch today's stage live, but again I was losing my connection repeatedly.

Frustrating :mad2:

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I only watch the highlights, usually starting at 8 or 9 pm EST, and I have had very good results. I think it's a great deal, because the alternative is seeing NOTHING but text updates.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
euro-trash said:
A start-up like this only has so much capital. If everyone took this approach, it would go bankrupt before it could reach a high quality level.

Those who watched cycling.tv 1.5 years know how far it has already come. We need to keep supporting it so it can continue to develop. The new 'player' seems better than the old one but it certainly still sucks. The number of races is certainly better. Now, they of course need to up their bandwidth, I hope they do it soon, but it's of course an incremental process.
I'm with you. They have been improving by leaps and bounds and they just need time to grow. Simon over there has been totally responsive to any questions or problems I had and fixed them. On the live feeds there's been some issues with bandwidth (occasional)but I'm content to watch the on demand broadcasts and there it's no trouble at all. The Giro was a little messy but I had no problems during all of classics season and some of these smaller stage races like the Dauphine Libere.

I fully expect cycling.tv to continue improving and expanding content as they have so consistently in the past. A few bugs, so what? You paid $40 and are occasionally inconvenienced. Not so horrible. Think of it as an investment in the quality cycling coverage to come. And it will come I have no doubt.

They deserve praise for their efforts as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.