Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Campy Shamal rear wheel ... a 1-inch screw punctured the tire, tube, and rim :mad2:

Trashed a new Vittoria Open Corsa tire (70 miles wear), latex tube, and the rim damage. See pics below.

"Fortunately" screw only penetrated the inner rim, outer rim seems OK.

If I can find some way to fill in the hole with JB Weld epoxy (generally works well on metal), I think rim will be OK. Hole in inner rim is about 5/32" diameter.

Need a way to provide a "backing" behind the hole, else (obviously) the epoxy would just drip inside the rim's hollow part.
I'm thinking a piece of fiberglass mesh held with a thread might work, then I snip off thread after epoxy has cured.
Plus the fiberglass is flexible enough, I can push it thru the hole, from the outside.

A 2nd possibility is epoxying into the hole, one of those plastic plugs sometimes used instead of rim tape ... but I'm not liking the idea of this "bump" on the inside of an otherwise smooth rim, especially with latex tubes.

Heli-arc or TIG welding a filler rod into the hole is questionable, it's very hard to weld thin aluminum without burning a bigger hole or warping the metal.

Any other ideas for repairing the hole?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I would just put a piece of thin strapping tape over the hole and otherwise leave it alone. Most of the suggestions you had will more seriously effect the balance ot the rim. Another choice it to get piece of cloth rim strip and put it over the hole.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
+1

cdhbrad said:
I would just put a piece of thin strapping tape over the hole and otherwise leave it alone. Most of the suggestions you had will more seriously effect the balance ot the rim. Another choice it to get piece of cloth rim strip and put it over the hole.
Agree completely. No other reasonable option, and since this is so easy and low cost, it's hard to imagine why you'd want to try anything else.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you guys think the strapping tape will resist the tube wanting to "balloon" into the hole?
I'm a bit concerned about latex's tendency to squeeze into tiny places it doesn't belong.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would just tape it like the other guys said. It's just a small hole. Smooth out any rough spots if needed. Put on two pieces of tape if it makes you sleep better. I am amazed though a screw would go thru the tire, tube, and rim. Are you sure your wife did not get the drill out to keep you from riding today?

·
naranjito
785 Posts
tom_h said:
So you guys think the strapping tape will resist the tube wanting to "balloon" into the hole?
I'm a bit concerned about latex's tendency to squeeze into tiny places it doesn't belong.
Rim tape works fine on 'normal' rims, so there's no reason it won't work here. File off any sharp burrs on the hole before installing the tape.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have used stapping tape to repair small holes in a rim strip when I didn't feel like replacing the whole strip, cheap fix. It works fine, just be sure that you cover the hole completely and, if a single stip isn't wide enough, overlap to get full coverage.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update

After evaluating & attempting to fit a "backer" into the hole, so I could epoxy it in place, I quickly realized it was impractical or nearly impossible.

I also had a trusted local LBS owner look at the wheel (pictures can be deceiving), and he also told me he's had good success with taping over holes w/ regular rim tape.

So ... after filing & sanding smooth the hole's edges, I'm going to apply 2 layers of non-stretching, heavy-duty, 3M strapping tape (nylon filaments running both directions).

I'll initially use a butyl rubber, not latex, inner tube. Latex can extrude into the tiniest crevices and IME will decompress very rapidly, if cut or torn.
Later, I'll inspect rim & tube, and swap back to my preferred latex, but after this Sunday's big race ;-)

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rruff said:
What 3M tape is that?
Bought tape at Home Depot, it's called 3M "Shipping/Strapping Tape - Extreme".
It has the reinforcing filaments in both directions, forming a mesh, unlike "normal" strap tape whose filaments run only in the lengthwise direction.
I've seen basically the same 3M tape with different labels, in office supply stores (eg, Office Depot, Staples).

I haven't ridden the wheel yet, but after sitting inflated to 110 psi overnight (butyl tube), it hasn't exploded ;-)

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Agree with all, best you can do is deburr the hole lightly with a dremel, cover with strapping tape.

And, I am surprised that no one else has said it, so let me be the first to add, you got screwed!

Hopefully the integrity of the rim isn't compromised, at least you didn't rip a sidewall or braking surface...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would use foil tape. Its meant for duct work, but is the stickiest stuff made. Its pretty much aluminum foil that is super sticky. Problem is, it only comes in 200' & 500' rolls, and is quite expensive. I have used this stuff for a ton of projects that have holes in metal. JBweld, and foil tape are my freinds :) You can get it at any hardware store, Home Depot, Menards, Ace, etc.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/65719/Nashua_322-2_Aluminum_Foil_Tape

You could always seal you duct work seams with the leftover.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Argentius said:
... Hopefully the integrity of the rim isn't compromised, at least you didn't rip a sidewall or braking surface...
Structurally, it's probably OK, the screw puncture is noticeably smaller than the hole for valve stem.

If you're familair with Campy's Eurus/Shamal "G3" rear wheel spoking pattern ("wagon wheel"), the point on the rim where groups of 3 spokes attach is machined thicker ... by chance, the screw penetrated the inner rim in one of those reinforced locations.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tony597fitter said:
I would use foil tape. Its meant for duct work, but is the stickiest stuff made. Its pretty much aluminum foil that is super sticky. Problem is, it only comes in 200' & 500' rolls, and is quite expensive. I have used this stuff for a ton of projects that have holes in metal. JBweld, and foil tape are my freinds ....
Excellent suggestion. If the strapping tape looks at all dubious when I remove tire in a few days, to reinspect, I'll try the foil tape.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
He needed a 2" piece of tape......to cover the hole. Most stapping tape, even the generic stuff, is pretty sticky too. When my son and I raced R/C cars we used it to tape the batteries in place on the chassis as we changed battery packs after every run. You had to cut the stuff off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.