Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally crashed this party. :eek:

INTRODUCTION:
After getting 6.39 billion drunken dialed phone calls from The J's on Friday night saying, "Git yer ******* *** down here NOW, ***** ******," I wake up at 4:55 AM the next morning and burn down from LA to SD, getting there at 8:00 AM on the dot. No bikes in sight, so I call The J's and *wake him up* asking, "Where is everyone?" Apparently, the ride was changed to 9:00 AM due to the previous night's debauchery. At least I wasn't late after all!

INTERACTION:
An hour later, we send the main group off. The J's, Dave Hickey, Snap, and I eventually get our act together. Dave and Snap drive to find Snap a rental bike, and The J's and I gear up and ride out with a semi-reasonable sense of direction to meet them on the waterfront. We take the ferry to Coronado Island. San Diego is beautiful!

1) The J's shows off his LEAN legs
2) A shoe tree on the waterfront
3 & 4) Ferry to Coronado Island
5) The J's first aircraft carrier

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We ride off past some very $$$ houses, find our way to the Hotel del Coronado and hit the beach!! Simply amazing. Gorgeous surf and the water was warm--at least 65 degrees! With sand between our toes, we keep riding along the Silver Strand at a leisurely pace, eventually turn around into a light headwind and make for the ferry landing. Once there, we devour some outstanding falafel, gyros, and quesadillas for lunch.

1, 2 & 3) The Ocean Pacific
4) The Silver Strand
5) The J's refills his bottle for the trip back

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
** Post #4 **

IRL chat continues. Dinner plans are made and changed several times while wandering around Old Town in search of food. Afterward, another obligatory bar visit is made by some.

1) A variety of liquid refreshments
2) XOXO - The J's and Mickey-Mac
3) XOXO - The J's and Badley
4) Got Margarita, J?

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
** Post #3 **

We return to the hotel and refresh ourselves, then catch up with some of the others on the patio in the late afternoon. We share ride stories and discuss current and past threads and posters.

1) The J's practices his cyclocross skills
2) Airing The J's dirty laundry
3) Sunset in San Diego
4) The J's drooling over Gonzo
5) Badley Blend Scotch

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunday morning's ride is scheduled for 8:00 AM. Unfortunately, I oversleep, miss the ride, and am forced--I mean, um, privileged--to spend the morning with The J's. We have a healthy breakfast and wander around Old Town some more. A few hours later, the riders meet up with us for lunch and another stroll through OT. Many of us say our goodbyes at this point and begin the journey back to our respective homes, including me.

1) Huevos Rancheros, Swordfish Taco, and Pancakes
2) The J's enjoying his 9th beverage of the *morning*
3) Last lunch - Mapei, Il Sogno, Mickey-Mac

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CONCLUSION:
I had a blast in SD! It was great to meet so many RBRers. I think there were 14 of us in total. Outstanding. I must say, The J's is exactly as I imagined him to be (HIGHLY inappropriate), except for his voice (I was wrong on the accent). Dave Hickey is incredibly friendly and gracious. ATP is unstoppable--scary strong on the bike and in the stomach.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to ride with everyone (Not that I could even dream of keeping up with ATP--"PACE!!!") or talk with everyone at length (Remember, I'm socially inept in situations involving more than two people--rendered mute!). I will see everyone and more at the RBR event in NoCali soon, right?!

Undying gratitude and appreciation go out to Dave Hickey and especially The J's. Dave and Snap (and everyone else): Write up your ride reports and post a pic!! :D :D :D

POSTSCRIPT:
eddy said:
Have fun in SD everyone!
Take lots of pictures.
Don't end up in jail or hospital or J's hotel room. ;)
Check. :D
Check. :D
Well, two outta three ain't bad. :eek: (NO, not like that! NTTAWWT...???)

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
eddy,

I'm jealous. You, J's, Dave and Snap had the better Saturday! The ferry ride. Bikes on the beach. Bliss. Meantime, me and Sogno were huffing, puffing and watching everybody else disappear into the distance.

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mapei Roida said:
I'm jealous. You, J's, Dave and Snap had the better Saturday! The ferry ride. Bikes on the beach. Bliss. Meantime, me and Sogno were huffing, puffing and watching everybody else disappear into the distance.
LOL, I just replied to Il Sogno that I am totally jealous of *your* rides!! I would have loved to be punished on those climbs. Those pics of you all on top of the hill and the views... Wow. :) :) :)

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Q&A:

The J's: "Am I boring you?"
Eddy: "No, not at all. It's the smoking and drinking and cursing that's boring me." :eek: :eek: ;) :) :p :rolleyes: :D :cool:

FYI:

The J's does not snore like a freight train. The J's snores like a fleet of freight trains barrelling down the tracks with strident horns ablaze. NTTAWWT, but earplugs, headphones, ambient noise machine, sound-proof walls, etc., are recommended. Seriously though, I don't think a deviated septum and sleep apnea are anything to sneeze at. YMMV. HTH!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
eddy said:
Q&A:

Eddy: "No, not at all. It's the smoking and drinking and cursing that's boring me." :eek: :eek: ;) :) :p :rolleyes: :D :cool:

FYI:

The J's does not snore like a freight train. The J's snores like a fleet of freight trains barrelling down the tracks with strident horns ablaze. NTTAWWT, but earplugs, headphones, ambient noise machine, sound-proof walls, etc., are recommended. Seriously though, I don't think a deviated septum and sleep apnea are anything to sneeze at. YMMV. HTH!
For what it's worth Eddy, I am certain that most RBR members of the male persuasion would rather share a bed with you than J (nothing personal J) :D . Looks like you guys had a nice relaxing ride, whereas the others just pounded away.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
eddy said:
Q&A:

FYI:

LOL! hey btw, i'm waiting for that email reply to my marriage proposal.

:hugs:

·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haiku d'etat said:
LOL! hey btw, i'm waiting for that email reply to my marriage proposal.

:hugs:
I'm writing this to say
In a gentle way
Thank you--but no
I will live my life as I
Will undoubtedly die--alone

I'm writing this to say
In a gentle way
Thank you...
I will live my life as I... Oh
For whether you stay
Or stray