Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Woke up way too early this morning, but at least the flight and car rental went smoothly.
Staying with my uncle in Poway (about 20 minutes from the rest of the gang staying in Old Town), I don't have time to make the early RBR Friday ride, turns out that this is a good thing (they ended up doing a 70 miler!)

Shipped my bike, so I've got to put it back together. Why is it, that any bike work always takes twice as long as I think it will? One hour and twenty minutes later, the MXL is ready to go.

I meet up with fellow RBR'er roadbikemike, for a short local Poway ride. Very glad I have a guide for this, otherwise I probably wouldn't have ridden at all.

San Diego is a nice town, nice to visit and nice to live. And the weather is typical SoCal (sunny and warm.)

Here a few pics of our afternoon 20 miler.

1.) castle in the making
2.) my view of roadbikemike, my guide for the day
3.) castle down the street
4.) roadbikemike smiles for the camera
5.) end of the road (literally)

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Back from the ride, shower up, then head to Old Town to meet the gang.

Old Town Mexican Cafe is easy enough to find, too bad parking isn't. After doing more laps around old town than Jeff Gordon on Sunday, I luck out and find a spot right next to the restaurant.

Of course, the first person I see, is J's and Dave. I take a seat next to J's, which is a mistake. First thing he does is push me out of the room, just to make sure he has enough room to give me a proper bear hug! He seems, exactly as I imagined he'd seem. It's interesting to meet all these people that I don't know, but yet, do know.

The gang has already eaten, and I'm starved so I order up some local grub. Good stuff.

Around the table is: RWBadley, bigbill, Dave Hickey, Snap, Mickey Mac, Len J, Atp, J's, and me(sorry, I don't have a pic with all of us). il sogno and mapei roida arrive after me, as does Svend.

The gang decides to move on to another bar, and I decide to head back to a bed and my laptop. Still plenty of email to catch up on. Been a long day. Ride starts at 9a.m. tomorrow, so I need my rest. I am just able to escape from J's grasp, and make my break.

1.) il sogno, j's, mapei roida (nice cap, J's!.....ahem...)
2.) the gang
3.) bigbill and snap get sticker shock from our tab....."J's drank HOW MUCH?!??"

(there's an incriminating photo in someone's camera somewhere, of J's giving me a sloppy wet one....kiss, that is.....no tongue (not that I'm disappointed, or anything....))

Mo betta pics tomorrow, I promise.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
First questions...

what bike did Dave Hickey bring....

what was for breakfast?

have you met anyone famous?

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Good lard, the J's is furry.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Really neat to finally see what Snap and il sogno look like. Great stuff Gregg. Thanks.
Wayne

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
gregg said:
3.) bigbill and snap get sticker shock from our tab....."J's drank HOW MUCH?!??"
Truth is, that's why I didn't show. I didn't want to have to do a re-fi to cover J's tab. I made up the whole twins thing.

The only reason I wanted to attend was to get a free RBR shirt from Gregg.

;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sorry I'm missing it. I was nearly there. I gave it serious consideration but just couldn't swing it. OH well! Keep the pics flowin in. My flash would be going off constantly.

J's hasn't shaved since DC. :D

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
funknuggets said:
what bike did Dave Hickey bring....

what was for breakfast?

have you met anyone famous?
Dave brought the Bike Friday, but I haven't seen it (more on that later.)

I dunno what the gang ate for breakfast. For me, it was Sausage/Egg Muffin and O.J. at the San Jose Airport Burger King. Yum.

Have not met anyone famous, but there are plenty of uh....elderly dudes with blonde wives in fancy sports cars.

And yes, J's is very furry. On his face, that is. Just how furry elsewhere.... I don't want to know.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
After The Old Town Mexican Cafe, gregg excused himself and the rest of us stumbled our way up the street to another bar - Kelly's, I think - for more drinks, chit-chat and fun.

The later we stayed the farther back the ride time for Saturday am got pushed back. We finally settled on a 9 am start time.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
I'll post my recollections in with gregg's threads.

Mappy and I had two cel. numbers with us when we got into SD. atp's and J's. We called and left a message on atp's voice mail but got no call back. We waited around till about 8:00 or so then decided to call J's cel. He answers and first thing you can tell is he's in a very noisy bar. No wonder atp didn't hear his cel ring! Second thing is J's and everybody else have gotten a huge head start on the drinks.

Mappy and I walk down to the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Even in his altered state J's was able to give me precise directions on how to find the RBR'ers in the Cafe. Amazing. Hey, they don't call him the J's for nothin'! I recognized J's by his pics. First thing he does is get me in one of them bare hugs. He lifted be about a foot or so off of the floor! Then he does just about the same to Mappy!

We make our way around the table, everybody introducing themselves to everybody else. Of course I recognized gregg and J's by their pics. Snap was the only other chica at the table and the both of us were very happy for each other's presence.

Ate some good mexican food. Talked, drank, laughed then moved on to the other bar for more of the same.

What did we talk about? Bikes of course! Then music. Snap's a Bowie fan. I was never able to sit next to her so I had to shout down the table to her. Mappy was sitting next to her and (I think) regaled her with some story about some Bowie concert he went to.

atp, Svend and I went on about playing music. I was talking and talking with Len about everything under the sun and reminiscing with Mickey about rides in LA. bigbill made me homesick for Hawaii.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
biknben said:
Sorry I'm missing it. I was nearly there. I gave it serious consideration but just couldn't swing it. OH well! Keep the pics flowin in. My flash would be going off constantly.

J's hasn't shaved since DC. :D
bullsh!t. i shaved my legs a month ago.

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
il sogno said:
First thing he does is get me in one of them bare hugs. He lifted be about a foot or so off of the floor! Then he does just about the same to Mappy!
Lucky for me, the first time I saw The J's I was carrying my bike and a backpack, so he couldn't get me into a bare grope hug. In fact, he laid off the hugs until the last minute when I was leaving for LA. Then he let loose. He grabbed me and lifted me over his head, squeezing so hard that he managed to crack my back a few times in the process. Whew. We should all get tshirts with "I Survived The J's" written on them. :)

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
eddy said:
Lucky for me, the first time I saw The J's I was carrying my bike and a backpack, so he couldn't get me into a bare grope hug. In fact, he laid off the hugs until the last minute when I was leaving for LA. Then he let loose. He grabbed me and lifted me over his head, squeezing so hard that he managed to crack my back a few times in the process. Whew. We should all get tshirts with "I Survived The J's" written on them. :)
moreon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts